Onondaga Fire Trucks
- Media Type
- Item Type
- These photographs depict Onondaga's fire trucks circa 1960.
After the days of depending on neighbours for help when fire struck, and up to early 1958, Onondaga Township was divided into two sections for fire protection: the Upper and Lower end of the Township.
On July 1, 1958 the first Onondaga Fire Department came into being. It was comprised of 32 volunteer firemen. The Township was then divided into three sections: the Upper, the Centre, and the Lower, with a captain presiding over each section.
The first fire truck was a Dodge, equipped with a front mounted pump and had a 2000 gallon tank built on it; a few years later another 2000 gallon tank was purchased.
Early fire calls were answered by three local people who had a box installed above their telephone. They flipped a switch to activate a siren. The first fire call was August 11, 1958 to a granary; this fire was extinguished, and the barn was saved.
The original photographs were provided by Joyce Smith during a Scan & Share Day event held at the Onondaga Hall on January 14, 2012.
- Date of Original
Width: 15 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1168 Longitude: -80.11635
- Courtesy of the Brant Historical Society.
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Onondaga Fire Trucks, 1958. Brant Historical Society.
- The information and images provided are for personal research only and are not to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this information should include the credit "The County of Brant Public Library".
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail addressCounty of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary