Original Onondaga Post Office
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This photograph depicts the original post office of Onondaga Township.
The building was also a general store operated by W. O. Soules who served as the first postmaster in 1851-1854. He was succeeded by John C. Swift in 1854, then by William J. Buckwell in 1855. Buckwell continued to be postmaster until his death in 1877. Buckwell's widow then replaced her late husband. She served as postmaster until 1891. Her daughter succeeded her, and the post office was moved to a small house next door.
In 1895, Samuel Simpson, brother to the new storekeeper, moved the post office back to the store and served as postmaster until 1906. The store was sold once again, and the son of the new owner, Neil McPherdon, became postmaster. In 1922, he was succeeded by his sister Anne. Two years later, W. R. Fielding bought the store and became postmaster. In 1932, the store was acquired by the local blacksmith, then it was rented by William Ferguson, whose son Fred was appointed postmaster. He served until 1943.
The original photograph was provided by Joyce Smith during a Scan & Share Day event held at the Onondaga Hall on January 14, 2012.
- Date of Original
- [before 1943]
Width: 7.3 cm
Height: 7.1 cm
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1168 Longitude: -80.11635
- Courtesy of the Brant Historical Society.
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Post Office of Onondaga, before 1943. Brant Historical Society.
- The information and images provided are for personal research only and are not to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this information should include the credit "The County of Brant Public Library".
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail addressCounty of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary