Barns of the County of Brant
- Mystery Question
- Can you identify the barns' original owners and/or dates of creation?[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Marion Sheridan, Michael O'Byrne and Violet Fair
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A Photographic Record of Barns in the County of Brant.
In 1992 the County of Brant and The Architectural Conservancy of Ontario decided to prepare a photographic inventory of architecturally interesting barns.
The decision to prepare the inventory was based on the fact that barns are changing as a result of changes in agricultural technology, that many of our barns are disappearing and that barns are extremely interesting.
Barn architecture, to a large degree, was determined by the time period in which the barn was built and the use for which the barn was intended.
Barns can be divided by roof styles, e. g. Gable roof, Hip roof, Gambrel roof, Saltbox roof. Most of the barns were found to be of the Gambrel type.
It would appear that the siding on barns is a clue to their age. Siding types varied from log, horizontal planking, vertical planking, board and batten siding, steel siding, etc. We were unable to find a log barn.
The earliest barn we located is that owned by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Davis located at Burtch which is believed to be 150 years old.
Features illustrated in the presentation show variations of silos, ventilators, cupolas, gables, etc.
The Conservancy thought it appropriate to recognize the owners of five rural properties: the Vansickle shingled barn on Old Onondaga Road, the horizontally sided Davis barn in Burtch, the Eggenschwiler property on Sour Springs Road, the Stocks Antique outlet on highway 24a north of Paris and the Federal Technical Services property on the East River Road north of Paris. The latter two properties are, in our opinion, excellent example of re-cycled barns.
- This collection of slides was digitized in January 2011 at the Paris Branch of the County of Brant Public Library.
- Date of Original
- Personal Name(s)
- Marion Sheridan ; Michael O'Byrne ; Violet Fair
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2 Longitude: -80.38333
- Marion Sheridan and Michael O'Byrne
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date
- Copyright Holder
- County of Brant
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail addressCounty of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary