The Salt Springs Church is beautifully located at a bend in the Grand River. Historically, it belonged to the Mohawks, who reserved it for a meeting house and a cemetery.
On September 12, 1901, the church was completely destroyed when a lightning strike set the building on fire. Many important records of the time were lost. The board of trustees immediately decided to build a new church. The amount of $1,180 was raised in a short period of time to cover expenses. The new white brick structure was completed by architect L. Taylor and dedicated on January 12, 1902. It is six feet longer than the old one, with chimneys at the west end, pinnacles at the east corners, and buttresses along the sides. The cornerstone of the old building was preserved and may be seen in the corner to the right from the entrance.
Since 1901, the Salt Spring Church has been used primarily for worship. The first wedding was conducted at the Church in 1931.
The stone preserved from the early church building of 1860. Details
The new church was built in 1901. Details
The cemetery is adjacent to the church. Details
Front view of the Salt Springs Church. Details