Ajax Public Library Digital Archive
Biographies: The People Behind the Street Names in Ajax
Comments (8)
Comments from Users
Posted by mark whittington, 23 January 2016 at 16:29

FANTASTIC !!!! My great uncle is Archibald Whittington ( Whittington Court ),he served on HMS Ajax during the battle of the river plate in 1939 and continued to serve throughout the war. Neither my father or myself had any idea of this brilliant memorial to those brave individuals who went through such hardship against a formidible enemy. Thank you. Mark Whittington

Posted by David Ellis, 21 September 2017 at 4:52

Hello, I see that there is an Ellis Lane. My father Robert Ellis served as a Midshipman in Ajax from 1940 to 1942. He was mentioned in despatches for recovering troops from the beach during the evacuation of Greece. He died in 2014. I have his war diary if that would be of interest. Best wishes, David Ellis

Posted by david ringer, 5 December 2017 at 19:41

I was told by an ajax administrator that Ringer road was named after seaman clarence Ringer on the has ajax. I cannot find the name here. Rsvp

Posted by Edward Devine, 5 July 2018 at 10:22

Just a small point... I had a hand in getting recognition for my uncle, Richard Devine and the subsequent name, Devinridge. In your archive I notice you say he was born in 1912. He was actually born in 1919. Very proud he has a street named after him and after it was agreed in 2006 and Steve Parish wrote to tell my father (his brother) I got in touch with my uncle's surviving family to tell them, they now live in Australia.

Posted by Terrance Jones, 20 July 2018 at 5:03

Hi,

I am Fredrick Easton's Grandson and have just been informed that you would like some information and photos showing my grandfather whilst serving with HMS Ajax.

I am visiting Wales this weekend and will gather some phots of Fred on the Ajax and of My parents visit to Easton Court/Close which they proudly planted a tree in memory.

Please any further request come through this means as I myself are planning a trip to Ajax Bay next year.

Regards

Terrance Jones

Posted by Chria Robinson, 15 October 2018 at 16:04

I noticed there is a street in north Ajax named Raitbhy Crescent. Raithby is my maiden name and we were always told that it is uncommon and if we come across a Raithby it would be a relative. Anyone know how this street got it's name?

Posted by Debbie Newman, 18 November 2018 at 8:22

My father was on the HMS Ajax the names of the streets in Ajax Canada only go as far as W my fathers name was Alfred Harold Young

Posted by James Appleby, 6 February 2020 at 22:30

Hi guys!

My Great Uncle served on the H.M.S Ajax and i am told had a road named after him in Ajax, Canada. My Dad has seen a photo of the steeet sign as my Great Aunt still lives in Canada. However i cannot find a trace of the road!

His name was George Atkins and my Great Aunt always used to joke with him because apparently the road was in the red light district and had a brothel on the road if that is any help? Has the road been renamed since?

Thank You!

James Appleby

Add your own comment.
Is it OK to make your name public?
Is it OK to make your comment public?
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

thumbnail