Ajax Public Library 60th Anniversary Memory Boards - 1950's, October 2012
- Mystery Question:
Do you know the names of any of the children in the storytime photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Colour photograph of the Ajax Public Library 60th Anniversary Memory Board 1950's
- 1950s The Boom Years
Post World War II, moms stayed at home and served “comfort” foods such as Meat Loaf, Chili Con Carne, and Tuna Noodle Casserole with homemade pies, Ambrosia Filled Angle Cake, Nanaimo Bars and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Entertaining at home was a Rec Room buffet with chips and dip. Outside of the home, diners with juke boxes and soda fountains were popular.
- Citizens, led by John Cameron, petitioned for a public library in the Improvement District of Ajax. “Every one of these children and teenagers will grow into a happier person, a more useful citizen, if in his formative years there are available to him the benefits of a good public library”. A 1952 petition campaign amongst Ajax households showed two out of three supported a free public library in Ajax.
- December 13, 1952 the new library was opened at the corner of Harwood Avenue and King’s Crescent in the building that once housed the DIL Inspection Department and then the Bank of Commerce.
- It had 1,175 books to serve a population of 4,057.
- June Munroe was the first librarian; on loan from the Public Library of London, Ontario.
Maureen Hutchins became the first official librarian before John Vickers’ arrival in 1956.
- January, 1956 the Library moved to new quarters; the DIL Department of Munitions and Supply building which later housed the Royal Bank and a barber shop. The library was located on the ground floor.
On the Silver Screen
The Greatest Show on Earth, Titanic, Singin’ in the Rain, The War of the Worlds, Rear Window, and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
Bestsellers & Canadian Literature
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
On the Beach by Nevil Shute
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by Mordecai Richler
Diana by Paul Anka
You Belong to Me by Jo Stafford
Love Me Tender by Elvis Presley
Wake Up Little Susie by The Everly Brothers
Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley
Jailhouse Rock by Elvis Presley
Mack the Knife by Bobby Darin
What’s Cooking in 1952?
Perfect Lemon Meringue Pie
Pastry for One Crust
¼ cup cornstarch
3 Tbsp flour
1 ¾ cups sugar
1 Tbsp butter
¼ tsp salt
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
½ cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
¼ tsp cream of tartar
4 egg whites
½ cup sugar
Extra Historical Note:
Pianist Glenn Gould recorded Bach’s “Goldberg Variations” in 1955 and became world famous.
1)Photo of the fist Library Board
Caption: Board members in 1952: Standing (l to r): Paul Corbett, John Sherburne, Ian Hamer. Sitting (l to r) Teresa Falby, John Cameron, and appointed librarian June Munroe.
2)Photo of children enjoying storytime
Caption: Storytime in the first library 1953.
3)Photo of children’s area of the library
- Date of Original:
- Date Of Event:
- October 2012
- Personal Name(s):
- Cameron, John
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Ajax Public Library
- Location of Original:
- Ajax Public Library
Ajax Public Library
Agency street/mail address
55 Harwood Avenue S.