Mr. and Mrs. McGillivary and their 13 children
- Media Type:
- A black and white photo of Mr. and Mrs. McGillivary and their 13 children around 1871. Back row: Charles, Mary, John, Catherine, George Jr., Adelaide. centre Row: Mr. and Mrs. McGillivary. Third row: Caroline, Norman, William, Donald, Elizabeth. Front Row: Florence, Theodore.
- George McGillivary, a noted Scottish gentleman, purchased a stone house in Audley in 1840 and called it "Burnside Farm". The fieldstone house still stands at 786 Taunton Road E. Twelve of their children were born in Audley. In 1870, the McGillivary's moved to Whitby after purchasing a large estate called "Inverlynn". The most noted of the children was Florence Helena McGillivary (1864-1938), a famous Canadian painter. Some of her works hang in the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa.
- Date of Original:
- Circa 1871
- Local identifier:
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Ajax Public Library
Agency street/mail address
55 Harwood Avenue S.