West Nipissing Ouest-Our History
Moulins de Nipissing Ouest / Mills of West Nipissing


Records

Results

We found
149
matching items
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Construction du barrage / Dam Construction
    Image       Construction du barrage / Dam Construction
    Image     Construction du barrage / Dam Construction
  • Construction du barrage
    Image       Document original / Original Document...
    Image     Document original / Original Document...
  • Barrage hydro-électrique sur la rivière Sturgeon / Power Dams on the Sturgeon River
    Image       The spill dams on the Sturgeon River were built in 1923-24 with a continuous pour of 5,399 cubic yards of concrete in 10 hour shifts. The municipality of West Nipissing bought the hydro dams when Weyerhaeuser closed down its mill in the early 2000s.
    Image     The spill dams on the Sturgeon River were built in 1923-24 with a continuous pour of 5,399 cubic yards of concrete in 10 hour shifts. The municipality of West Nipissing ...
  • Historic covered coal conveyor belt
    Image       Coal conveyor belt.
    Image     Coal conveyor belt.
  • The 1979 Sturgeon River flood at the Abitibi mill.
    Image       The 1979 Sturgeon River flood at the Abitibi mill was the biggest in 300 years.
    Image     The 1979 Sturgeon River flood at the Abitibi mill was the biggest in 300 years.
  • Truck Dumping Wood Chips in the MacMillan Bloedel yard, Sturgeon Falls
    Imagemystery       An 18-wheel wood chip truck dumps its load in the wood yard of the MacMillan Bloedel in Sturgeon Falls. The mill capacity in 1999 was 250 tons of corrugating medium a day. At the same time as the company installed the truck dumper, approximately 150,000 square feet of yard was ...
    Imagemystery     An 18-wheel wood chip truck dumps its load in the wood yard of the MacMillan Bloedel in Sturgeon Falls. The mill capacity in 1999 was 250 tons of corrugating medium ...
  • Photo de groupe des travailleurs du moulin Abitibi, Sturgeon Falls / Group Photo of the Abitibi Mill Workers, Sturgeon Falls
    Image       Photo de groupe des travailleurs du moulin Abitibi, Sturgeon Falls / Group Photo of the Abitibi Mill Workers, Sturgeon Falls
    Image     Photo de groupe des travailleurs du moulin Abitibi, Sturgeon Falls / Group Photo of the Abitibi Mill Workers, Sturgeon Falls
  • 1951 log jam on the Sturgeon River at the Abitibi mill
    Image       1951 log jam on the Sturgeon River at the Abitibi mill. The log jam was the J.B. Smith Co. Ltd. logs. The river discharge at that time was 20,500 cu. ft. per second.
    Image     1951 log jam on the Sturgeon River at the Abitibi mill. The log jam was the J.B. Smith Co. Ltd. logs. The river discharge at that time was 20,500 cu. ...
  • May 1979 flood raised the Sturgeon River 19 feet above normal.
    Image       May 1979 flood raised the Sturgeon River 19 feet above normal, flooding parts of the Abitibi mill. The company had to sandbag many parts of the mill. Employees (L to R): Ernest Cartier, ?, Mr. Maltby and Herb Fike.
    Image     May 1979 flood raised the Sturgeon River 19 feet above normal, flooding parts of the Abitibi mill. The company had to sandbag many parts of the mill. Employees (L to ...
  • A Ford Model T with a "Snowmobile attachment" could go anywhere in winter.
    Imagemystery       A Ford Model T with a "Snowmobile attachment" could go anywhere in winter. The only person identified (on the far left) is Bill Setchell, supervisor of operations for the J.B. Smith company in Field. The other fashionable men were not identified.
    Imagemystery     A Ford Model T with a "Snowmobile attachment" could go anywhere in winter. The only person identified (on the far left) is Bill Setchell, supervisor of operations for the J.B. ...
  • Ford ModelA muni de patin pour l’hiver. Immatriculé 1930. Non-identifié. / Car on skis on logging trail.
    Imagemystery       Ford Model A muni de patins pour l’hiver. Immatriculé 1930. Non-identifié. / Car on skis on logging trail.
    Imagemystery     Ford Model A muni de patins pour l’hiver. Immatriculé 1930. Non-identifié. / Car on skis on logging trail.
  • Traîneau-réservoir servant au glaçage des chemins de alage, chantier J.B. Smith. Endroit non-identifié. / A water container on sled helped lumberjacks make ice roads in the winter to move around the forest
    Image       Traîneau-réservoir servant au glaçage des chemins de alage, chantier J.B. Smith. Endroit non-identifié. / A water container on sled helped lumberjacks make ice roads in the winter to move around the forest
    Image     Traîneau-réservoir servant au glaçage des chemins de alage, chantier J.B. Smith. Endroit non-identifié. / A water container on sled helped lumberjacks make ice roads in the winter to move around ...
  • Poste de garde-forestiers à Field sur la rue Larocque. / Lands& Forest hose drying tower on Larocque c.1930
    Imagemystery       The village of Field was connected to the Lands & Forest fire fighting towers by telephone. This tower was used to dry hoses after fighting a fire. They were pulled up by rope and let dangle to dry.
    Imagemystery     The village of Field was connected to the Lands & Forest fire fighting towers by telephone. This tower was used to dry hoses after fighting a fire. They were pulled ...
  • Construction du Screamer, John B. Smith Lumber, Callander  / Construction of the Screamer, John B. Smith Lumber company, Callander
    Image       Le Screamer, est construit en 1922 par John B. Smith Lumber à Callander ON. / Photo of the building of the Screamer by the John B. Smith Lumber company in Callander, ON in 1922. The tugboat was powered by a 170 Horsepower steam engine. It could pull up to 10,000 ...
    Image     Le Screamer, est construit en 1922 par John B. Smith Lumber à Callander ON. / Photo of the building of the Screamer by the John B. Smith Lumber company in ...
  • Portrait de John B. Smith.  / Portrait of John B. Smith
    Image       What is interesting about Mr. Smith is that his name was never changed on the Toronto company he founded in 1851; he passed away in 1894. The 116-year company, which had connections to Marten River, Temagami, Field and Callander, officially closed its doors in 1967 as the John B. Smith ...
    Image     What is interesting about Mr. Smith is that his name was never changed on the Toronto company he founded in 1851; he passed away in 1894. The 116-year company, which ...
  • Locomotive à vapeur de John B. Smith / J.B. Smith Steam Locomotive
    Image       N’ayant pas sa propre scierie, elle fait débiter son bois par des scieries locales, notamment John B. Smith & Sons à Callander. Durant l’exploitation de ses réserves sur la rivière Temagami, elle fait débiter son bois à la scierie de Field, et ce durait plusieurs années. Pour y arriver il ...
    Image     N’ayant pas sa propre scierie, elle fait débiter son bois par des scieries locales, notamment John B. Smith & Sons à Callander. Durant l’exploitation de ses réserves sur la rivière ...
  • Zotique Mageau, fondateur de la scierie Field Lumber, 1914 / Zotique Mageau was the founder of Field Lumber, 1914
    Image       Zotique Mageau, fondateur de la scierie Field Lumber. / Zotique Mageau was the founder of Field Lumber.
    Image     Zotique Mageau, fondateur de la scierie Field Lumber. / Zotique Mageau was the founder of Field Lumber.
  • Scierie Joseph Vézina, Field / Joseph Vezina Mill, Field
    Image       La Scierie Vézina etait située sur la rue Desjardins, environ 300 m en amont du pont actuel. / The first Vezina mill was built about 300 metres from today's bridge crossing the Sturgeon River.
    Image     La Scierie Vézina etait située sur la rue Desjardins, environ 300 m en amont du pont actuel. / The first Vezina mill was built about 300 metres from today's bridge ...
  • Scierie Field Lumber construite sur le site actuel en 1917? / The actual Field Lumber mill built in 1917?
    Image       Photo non-identifiée. Nous croyons que c’est la scierie Field Lumber construite sur le site actuel en 1917 et qui a brûlé le 9 octobre 1922. / This photo is believed to be the actual first mill, Field Lumber that was built in 1917 and was destroyed by fire on October ...
    Image     Photo non-identifiée. Nous croyons que c’est la scierie Field Lumber construite sur le site actuel en 1917 et qui a brûlé le 9 octobre 1922. / This photo is believed ...
  • Magasin Lamarre, Field / Lamarre Grocery Store, Field
    Image       Magasin Lamarre devenu le magasin Field Lumber en 1914. Le magasin Field Lumber était géré par Ubald Lamarre. / The Lamarre Grocery Store became the Field Lumber Store in 1914. The Field Lumber store was managed by former owner Ubald Lamarre.
    Image     Magasin Lamarre devenu le magasin Field Lumber en 1914. Le magasin Field Lumber était géré par Ubald Lamarre. / The Lamarre Grocery Store became the Field Lumber Store in 1914. ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Moulins de Nipissing Ouest / Mills of West Nipissing