Trafalgar Township Historical Society Digital Collections
High-Rise Concrete Road Bed Bridge, Trafalgar Township 
still imagemystery This photograph was shown to the Trafalgar Township Historical Society by a former Merton (Bronte) resident, descendant of the Riggs and Patterson families. She does not know where this bridge was. The sides of the bridge look like concrete. It is two lane with a gravel/dirt roadbed. A trail...
Demolition of the Twelve Mile Creek Train Bridge in 1947 
still image A view of the old iron trestle train bridge crossing Bronte Creek (aka Twelve Mile Creek) just south of the Queen Elizabeth Way in the southwest corner of Oakville, Ontario. This photo was taken in October 1947. The new Queen Elizabeth Way high-level bridge can be faintly seen in the...
Hagaman & Co. General Dealers, Bronte C.W. Jug 
still imagetextmystery This "stoneware" storage jug was found in a shed at the former Patterson family farmhouse in the old village of Merton, R.R.1 Bronte, Halton County. The present day owner is a descendant of the Riggs and Patterson families who farmed for generations at Merton. According to the Town of Oakville...
Postcard of Independent Order of Foresters Orphanage, Oakville, 1914-1943 
still imagetext This postcard shows the orphanage that was built by the Independent Order of Foresters in 1914 on Bond Street, Oakville. Most people today remember it as Ortona Barracks. The Foresters sold the property to the Canadian Army in 1943 for the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps Casualty Retraining...
Elementary & Advanced Day Camp Leaders' Training Course, Fisher's Glen, June 25-30, 1959 
still imagetext Oakville Summer Day Camp Memories by Ross Wark: This is a collection of photographs and memories about the Leadership Training Camp held in late June for the training of young people who were to be the camp leaders for the Oakville Recreation Commission summer day camps in the years 1957 to 1959....
Ephraim Post, the younger, 1823-1883 
still image The Post Inn was opened by the Post family on the south-west corner of Dundas Street and 7th Line (which is now called Trafalgar Road), or on Lot 13 Concession 1 SDS, before 1827. The Inn was first run by the father of the Ephraim Post in the photograph here, and his mother, Elizabeth (Lyon). It...
Kenneth & Mabel Armstrong 
still image A photograph taken by Denzil Lawrence, school board trustee for Trafalgar Township in the 1950s and 1960s. This photograph was taken at the 25th wedding anniversary dinner for Ken and Ella Giles in 1950. There are 3 other photographs taken at this time by Mr. Lawrence, now in the TTHS internet...
Amy Merry, Gladys Speers, Dorothy Irwin 
still image A photograph taken by Denzil Lawrence, school board trustee for Trafalgar Township in the 1950s and 1960s. This photograph was taken at the 25th wedding anniversary dinner for Ken and Ella Giles in 1950. There are 3 other photographs taken at this time by Mr. Lawrence, now in the TTHS internet...
Vic and Reta Lawrence, Gladys Speers 
still image A photograph taken by Denzil Lawrence, school board trustee for Trafalgar Township in the 1950s and 1960s. This photograph was taken at the 25th wedding anniversary dinner for Ken and Ella Giles in 1950. There are 3 other photographs taken at this time by Mr. Lawrence, now in the TTHS internet...
Ken and Ella Giles, 25th Wedding Anniversary Dinner 
still image Ken and Ella Giles at their 25th wedding anniversary dinner. They married in June 1928. A photograph taken by Denzil Lawrence, school board trustee for Trafalgar Township in the 1950s and 1960s. It is one of 3 others in the TTHS internet collection taken by Mr. Lawrence that night. The...
Barber Family Children With Neighbourhood Friends, Lot 9, Concession 1 NDS, Late 1940s 
still imagemystery Frances Barber says that her family lived on the Dundas Highway from the spring of 1946 to late in 1949. She remembers going inside an old, dark, dusty abandoned building with her brothers and other neighbourhood children. On the floor of this old building were shoe heels and soles as well as...
Trafalgar Township Historical Society 2017 Newsletter Summer 
textstill image You can view the complete newsletter in full text by clicking on "Original PDF" on the right side of the record. Individual pages can each be viewed in PDF format by clicking on "Pages" "Select" at the top left of the record.
1855 Letter from Mary (Buckton) Hardy to Her Sister, Elizabeth (Buckton) Coates 
text Mary Buckton and George Hardy married in England, then emigrated to Canada sometime by 1838. (Clarification of the birth place of their eldest daughter, Mary Elizabeth Hardy, is needed. Possibly in England, possibly in Canada as there seem to have been two Mary Hardy children at about the same...
Bank of Toronto, Hornby 
still image Handwritten on the back of this photograph is: "Bank of Toronto at Hornby". The young man is likely the branch teller, perhaps reporting to the larger Bank of Toronto branch in Milton. The Bank of Toronto was established in 1855. According to Wikipedia (in August 2017), the Bank quickly...
The Henderson House, 4473 Henderson Road 
still image Ernie and his wife, Minnie (Stoutt), were active in area organizations as well as managing a farm. Minnie was inducted as a life time member of the Palermo Women's Institute in 1953. They were members of the Omagh Presbyterian Church congregation, where Ernest sang in the choir for many years....
The Wilson House, Old Bronte Road, Palermo 
still image Harry Wilson and Wilma Henderson married on February 21, 1943 in Toronto. At the time, Harry was an aircraftman in the R.C.A.F. They lived in Palermo on what is now Old Bronte Road, Oakville, Ontario. Their house was built by Wilma's father, Ernest Henderson, who was a building contractor by...
The Opening of Henderson Park, June 14 1958 
still image 3 photographs and the ceremony program for the opening of Henderson Park, named after Trafalgar Township resident, Mr. W. Ernest Henderson. To view these, click on "pages" "select". The park was opened by the Trafalgar Township Board of Parks Management to honour Ernie Henderson who had...
Mrs. Ernest Henderson, Life Membership Certificate, Palermo Women's Institute, 1953 
still imagetext Minnie Eliza (Stoutt) Henderson, (her husband was W. Ernest Henderson), was inducted as a life time member of the Palermo Women's Institute in 1953. Minnie and Ernie were members of the Omagh Presbyterian Church congregation, where Ernest sang in the choir for many years. Ernest was a member of...
Lawrendale, 1510 Bronte Road South, Milton 
still image In 1941, Nelson Daniel Lawrence and Mary Margaret Maude Lawrence bought the 100 acre farm of Lot 6 1st Concession New Survey Trafalgar Township (100 acres), also known as 1510 Bronte Street South, Milton from Barbara Jane Stuart. In 1944, the property was given to their son, Denzil Featherstone...
John Daniel Lester Miller, Father of Marion (Miller) Lawrence 
still imagetext Maud Elizabeth Pickard, of St. Catherines married John Daniel Lester (called Lester) Miller, brother of her friend, Marie Miller. The two girls were members of the first Canadian Girl Guide troup in St. Catherines. The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has a photo of them in their uniforms in...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit