Public Skating Rink and Dance Hall (Victoria Hall) Oakville
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- The public skating rink and dance hall (Victoria Hall), located in Victoria Park, Oakville. The ice skating rink is on the left and Victoria Hall is the building on the right of the post card.
The ice rink was new in 1920 as per the books listed in the Notes of this record. The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has a diary which documents a September 1885 group of people from Drumquin coming to skate, so we know there was previously - if not still after the ice rink was installed - a roller rink in warm weather. Our record for this diary is linked under the photograph in this record for your further information.
There was no artificial ice, of course. Victoria Hall was also used for plays and other social events.
Judging by the vehicles shown, this postcard could date to about 1915 to 1935.
Victoria Park was located on the east side of Reynolds Street, bordered by Sheddon Avenue and Allan Street in the town of Oakville. In later years, it was a baseball park and presently holds tennis courts. The park name changed to Wallace Park at some point, and at time of this writing in 2019, documents for consulting for changes to the area by the Town of Oakville can be found on the Town website.
- Further information about Victoria Park, the Hall and rink can be found in the books: Oakville and the Sixteen, and, Oakville; A Small Town 1900-1930 by Frances Robin Ahern.
- Skating Rink, Victoria Park, Oakville, Ont.
- Date of Publication:
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Public Skating Rink and Dance Hall (Victoria Hall) Oakville
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton