Trafalgar Township Historical Society Digital Collections
Gerald William Davey - Pre-Confederation Churches of Halton County Photography, Photographed ca1980
Description
Media Type
Image
Text
Item Type
Photographs
Description
Jerry Davey, an Oakville resident at one time, graduated from the Ryerson Institute of Technology with a diploma in Photographic Arts in 1959. He worked as a freelance photographer for many companies and also travelled abroad working as a photographer and journalist. Returning home he joined the Ryerson Journalism School as a teacher of darkroom techniques. His tutelage expanded to take responsibility for student handbook design, the yearbooks, and to be official school photographer for major events and convocation ceremonies. His favourite medium was black and white, and he loved to photograph people and architecture. A photography award for Ryerson students is in his name.

The seven photographs in this record are from a show of his work in 1982 at the Oakville Public Library; Pre-Confederation Churches of Halton County. The Oakville Beaver ran an article about this show and Mr. Davey on July 24, 1981 in the Community section. Unfortunately, the full text of this article is not available on the internet for your access.

The Oakville Beaver article explains that Mr. Davey took the photographs of Halton area churches because he was upgrading his Ryerson degree and he intended to publish a book from this work for his degree project. He worked from about 1976 to 1981 on the project.

As the Oakville Beaver article points out, these churches are located on busy roads and two are homes. Thus, some of the photographic angles and techniques have been chosen to hide modernity.

Image Info - click on "Pages" "Select" to view:
#1 and #2: St. John's Anglican church is at 2464 Dundas St. W, Burlington, at the crossroads of the former village of Nelson. The present church has been in use since 1839.

#3:Bethel Chapel 1172 Britannia Road, in Burlington was constructed in 1853 on land provided by John Prudham. The congregation was Wesleyan Methodist New Connexion which was active between 1886 and 1939. Weekly services ended in 1874 but annual memorial services were continually held. The Chapel and Cemetery are still managed as a non-profit.

#4: Limehouse: This was a Methodist New Connexion Church built in 1860 at Ashgrove, later becoming a United Church. It closed in 1969. A basement was put under it in about 1929. It was moved to Limehouse where it is now a private residence.

#5: Palermo United Church: the present building was built in 1867 by the Methodist congregation. In 1925 this church became a part of the United Church of Canada. It is located on the north side of Dundas Street, just east of Old Bronte Road at 2521 Dundas St. West.

#6: St. Luke's Anglican Church, Palermo: built 1845 by William Peacock. He also did the beautiful carving inside the designated heritage building. The church held its first service on March 11, 1846.

#7: St. Paul’s is in present day Burlington, Nelson Twp. A wooden church opened in 1822, which was replaced by a brick church, now a private home, in 1868. Jerry Davey photographed the decorative bricks from this building. The 1867 and present-day 1993 buildings stand on either side of the Dundas Street cemetery.

For further information, use the link provided in this record to read the history by John Shearman, "Nelson and Palermo United Churches; the first thirty years, 1808-1838" in full text on the website of Palermo United Church.
Notes
This record has smaller jpg reproductions of the photographs. The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has the prints as donated by the family, and larger tiff digital files taken from the photographic prints.
Subject(s)
Personal Name(s)
Gerald (Jerry) William Davey, November 29, 1935 - December 3, 2019. Jerry's spouse was Joyce Anne Davey, died 1994. Brothers: Robert, James.
Local identifier
TTGWD000954
Collection
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Language of Item
English
Copyright Statement
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Recommended Citation
Gerald William Davey - Pre-Confederation Churches of Halton County Photography
Contact
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Email
WWW address

Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

thumbnail








Gerald William Davey - Pre-Confederation Churches of Halton County Photography, Photographed ca1980


Jerry Davey, an Oakville resident at one time, graduated from the Ryerson Institute of Technology with a diploma in Photographic Arts in 1959. He worked as a freelance photographer for many companies and also travelled abroad working as a photographer and journalist. Returning home he joined the Ryerson Journalism School as a teacher of darkroom techniques. His tutelage expanded to take responsibility for student handbook design, the yearbooks, and to be official school photographer for major events and convocation ceremonies. His favourite medium was black and white, and he loved to photograph people and architecture. A photography award for Ryerson students is in his name.

The seven photographs in this record are from a show of his work in 1982 at the Oakville Public Library; Pre-Confederation Churches of Halton County. The Oakville Beaver ran an article about this show and Mr. Davey on July 24, 1981 in the Community section. Unfortunately, the full text of this article is not available on the internet for your access.

The Oakville Beaver article explains that Mr. Davey took the photographs of Halton area churches because he was upgrading his Ryerson degree and he intended to publish a book from this work for his degree project. He worked from about 1976 to 1981 on the project.

As the Oakville Beaver article points out, these churches are located on busy roads and two are homes. Thus, some of the photographic angles and techniques have been chosen to hide modernity.

Image Info - click on "Pages" "Select" to view:
#1 and #2: St. John's Anglican church is at 2464 Dundas St. W, Burlington, at the crossroads of the former village of Nelson. The present church has been in use since 1839.

#3:Bethel Chapel 1172 Britannia Road, in Burlington was constructed in 1853 on land provided by John Prudham. The congregation was Wesleyan Methodist New Connexion which was active between 1886 and 1939. Weekly services ended in 1874 but annual memorial services were continually held. The Chapel and Cemetery are still managed as a non-profit.

#4: Limehouse: This was a Methodist New Connexion Church built in 1860 at Ashgrove, later becoming a United Church. It closed in 1969. A basement was put under it in about 1929. It was moved to Limehouse where it is now a private residence.

#5: Palermo United Church: the present building was built in 1867 by the Methodist congregation. In 1925 this church became a part of the United Church of Canada. It is located on the north side of Dundas Street, just east of Old Bronte Road at 2521 Dundas St. West.

#6: St. Luke's Anglican Church, Palermo: built 1845 by William Peacock. He also did the beautiful carving inside the designated heritage building. The church held its first service on March 11, 1846.

#7: St. Paul’s is in present day Burlington, Nelson Twp. A wooden church opened in 1822, which was replaced by a brick church, now a private home, in 1868. Jerry Davey photographed the decorative bricks from this building. The 1867 and present-day 1993 buildings stand on either side of the Dundas Street cemetery.

For further information, use the link provided in this record to read the history by John Shearman, "Nelson and Palermo United Churches; the first thirty years, 1808-1838" in full text on the website of Palermo United Church.