2409 Lakeshore Road West, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Today, 2409 Lakeshore Road West is actually located in Mississauga, Ontario, Peel County, the eastern neighbour of Halton County. The farmhouse no longer exists but was located on the north side of Lakeshore Road as it curves up to meet Southdown Road in Mississauga. This is just east of today's Oakville town line with the City of Mississauga - Winston Churchill Boulevard.
The "West" in the address refers to the site as being west of Hurontario Street, the central north-south road in Mississauga. In Oakville, streets are "east" or "west" of Trafalgar Road.
The founders of Sheridan Nurseries found this area to be very hospitable to gardens and produce growth but the land was later taken for heavy industry including a cement factory and petrochemical plant - with quite a protest from area residents at the time. There is still a small farm in the area today (2020) but the old farmhouses are mostly gone or decaying.
The building was owned by Del Mar Holdings in Oshawa at the time of the Parks Canada photographs. The original builder was Elijah Willams who built the house ca1875.
It looks like the basement wall is lined with cobblestones, with the same stones laying on the ground. The shore of Lake Ontario in the area has many stones like these.
Click on "Pages" "Select" to view the photographs.
- In 1971-1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177000102409. Province is 06, Negative is 00ZY15. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938
On the blue card back with ownership information, the code is repeated: 06177000102409.
- Date Of Event
- November 22, 1971
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4931825721329 Longitude: -79.6177530497742
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 2409 Lakeshore Road West, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton