10 Park Avenue, Oakville, Ontario, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- 10 Park Avenue in Oakville, Ontario is south of Lakeshore Road, east of Trafalgar Road right on the shoreline of Lake Ontario. At the time of the Parks Canada documentation in March 1972, the property was owned by Dr. J. Sandford.
This historic property is a Designated Historic Property, Plan 110, Pt lots 24, 25. The following information comes from the 2009 Notice of Intention to Designate as printed in the November 18, 2009 Oakville Beaver, page 8.
The building is an early example of a vernacular brick cottage. The original exterior walls and foundation were laid by Reverend James Nisbet and his father, Thomas Nisbet, a master shipbuilder.
Reverend Nisbet was the first Presbyterian minister in Oakville and the first Canadian Presbyterian missionary to the First Nations of the Northwest. He is known as the founder of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
10 Park Avenue was built to be the first Presbyterian manse in Oakville.
The next owners were the Cuthbertson family who used the property as a summer home. They added a pier and bath house on the shoreline as well as tennis courts to the north of the house.
- In 1971-1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view 5 of the Parks Canada photographs and and the "contact sheet" side of the blue card showing all photos taken.
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177003200010. Province is 06, Negative is 060z006 Team 2. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938
The back of the blue card: Building Name is The Manse. Present Owner: Dr. J. Sandford. Original Owner: Mr. Nisbet / Presb. church. Factual building date: 1852 - 0000A Date of Survey: March 72. 06177003200010
Plaque on Wall: 1852 "The Manse" Rev. James Nisbet Presbyterian Minister..in Oakville From 1859-1862
- Date Of Event
- March 1972
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4500321114456 Longitude: -79.6576428622437
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 10 Park Avenue, Oakville, Ontario, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton