2460 Bronte Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Media Type
- Item Type
- 2460 Bronte Road is located today on Old Bronte Road, now on Part of Lot 31, Con 1 Trafalgar, SDS.
It is in a planned cluster of about 7 houses that are recognized as having historical significance to the old village of Palermo and the Township of Trafalgar. #2460 is listed. It is "Gothic Revival" construction clad in wood, now covered with vinyl siding.
Linked here is the study of Palermo Village "Palermo Village; A Heritage Resources Review and Strategy" by the Heritage Planning Division, Town of Oakville, November 2008. See page 85 for 2460 Bronte Road. The report says it was built around 1875 by Caleb Smith. They have some photos of it taken in 1991.
Caleb Smith served as an appointed official of the Municipal Council of the Township of Trafalgar in the years 1850-1901 according to page 14 of the linked microfilm in the collection of the Oakville Public Library. His father was Benjamin Smith, a well-known local carriage maker. The extensive family were prosperous and prominent in the area.
Click on "Pages" "Select" to view the photos taken for the Parks Canada project.
- In 1971-1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177002202460. Province is 06, Negative is 0zy22. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938
On the card verso: 06177002202460
Estimated date of constructions, 1875.
- Date Of Event
- December 31, 1972
- Personal Name(s)
- Caleb Smith (1823-1906) Benjamin Smith (1783-1850), brother of Absalom Smith (1788-1861), farmer.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4345007302671 Longitude: -79.7747117115784
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 2460 Bronte Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton