Trafalgar Township Historical Society Digital Collections
1242 Bronte Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
Description
Media Type
Image
Text
Item Type
Photographs
Description
1242 Bronte Road is named "The Woodlands", home to George S. Atkins.

In addition to the front and back sides of the blue indext contact sheet card, there are 7 photos of the house and barns included in this record. Click on Select Images to view all.

From the Autumn 2002 Newsletter of the Bronte Historical Society with additional information from the December 2002 Newsletter with the response of George Atkins: A house was built in 1846 on the property for the Sawyer and remained for his use and that of subsequent employees (of the sawmill on the property).

James White built the grander house in 1864 for his use. He owned at least 350 acres on both sides of Bronte Road from the Lower Middle Road (now the Queen Elizabeth Way) to Upper Middle Road, which area was called Merton. The property was called "Woodlands". James was a major developer of the timber resources in the Twelve Mile Creek valley. He established a farm with stables, breeding and foaling barns, and a racetrack. In June 1860, James' horse, Don Juan, a 5 year old bay, won the 50 guinea winners purse at the first running of the Queen's Plate. A plaque on the east side of Bronte Road records the event.

John, brother of James, served as a magistrate for Halton County. John moved to Milton, became the Liberal Member of Parliament for Halton and was largely responsible for Milton becoming the County seat.

The Atkins family came from the United States in 1921. They farmed the property and managed the woodlots. George became well known in the world of radio with the CBC farm broadcasts and later was recognized for his work with The Worldwide Developing Countries Farm Radio Network. A link to the Wikipedia page for George Atkins is included for your further information. (One note: a mention in the Nelson Women's Tweedsmuir records is of George singing a solo as a child.) As of 2002, the Atkins sold the house and moved to Ontario's Bruce Penninsula area.

1242 Bronte Road is on Lot 31, Con 2 SDS Trafalgar. The 1877 Illustrated Historical Atlas : The County of Halton shows the considerably large original property as owned by James White as to the present day part of Lot 31 where the house sits.

The house is a Designated Heritage Property of the Town of Oakville.
Notes
In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.

The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.

The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.

Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.

At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.

All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
Inscriptions
Back of blue card: Province: Ont., Town: Oakville, House No. and Street - Concession and Lot: 1242 Bronte Road, Building Name: The Woodlands, Date Built: 1865 estimated, Date of Survey: Jan 4 - 72

Blue Card: 06177002201242 ; 060zy24 25
Date Of Event
January 4, 1972
Subject(s)
Personal Name(s)
George S. Atkins
Local identifier
TTCIHB000910
Collection
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Language of Item
English
Geographic Coverage
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 43.4151332594167 Longitude: -79.7484824577332
Copyright Statement
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Recommended Citation
1242 Bronte Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 19
Contact
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Email
WWW address

Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

thumbnail








1242 Bronte Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972


1242 Bronte Road is named "The Woodlands", home to George S. Atkins.

In addition to the front and back sides of the blue indext contact sheet card, there are 7 photos of the house and barns included in this record. Click on Select Images to view all.

From the Autumn 2002 Newsletter of the Bronte Historical Society with additional information from the December 2002 Newsletter with the response of George Atkins: A house was built in 1846 on the property for the Sawyer and remained for his use and that of subsequent employees (of the sawmill on the property).

James White built the grander house in 1864 for his use. He owned at least 350 acres on both sides of Bronte Road from the Lower Middle Road (now the Queen Elizabeth Way) to Upper Middle Road, which area was called Merton. The property was called "Woodlands". James was a major developer of the timber resources in the Twelve Mile Creek valley. He established a farm with stables, breeding and foaling barns, and a racetrack. In June 1860, James' horse, Don Juan, a 5 year old bay, won the 50 guinea winners purse at the first running of the Queen's Plate. A plaque on the east side of Bronte Road records the event.

John, brother of James, served as a magistrate for Halton County. John moved to Milton, became the Liberal Member of Parliament for Halton and was largely responsible for Milton becoming the County seat.

The Atkins family came from the United States in 1921. They farmed the property and managed the woodlots. George became well known in the world of radio with the CBC farm broadcasts and later was recognized for his work with The Worldwide Developing Countries Farm Radio Network. A link to the Wikipedia page for George Atkins is included for your further information. (One note: a mention in the Nelson Women's Tweedsmuir records is of George singing a solo as a child.) As of 2002, the Atkins sold the house and moved to Ontario's Bruce Penninsula area.

1242 Bronte Road is on Lot 31, Con 2 SDS Trafalgar. The 1877 Illustrated Historical Atlas : The County of Halton shows the considerably large original property as owned by James White as to the present day part of Lot 31 where the house sits.

The house is a Designated Heritage Property of the Town of Oakville.