S.S.#14 Trafalgar, Glenorchy School
- Media Type
- Item Type
- S.S. No. 14, Glenorchy school was also known as Pleasant Valley School.
The small building on the right is the shed which protected the well.
The school was on the floodplain flats of the Sixteen Mile Creek on the Fourth Line, just south of Lower Baseline. People remember the river ice pushing up against the old school.
The road was often closed to cars in winter, open only in warm weather as it dipped down into the Creek and the road along the north cliffside is very steep. The road is now only for pedestrians and bicycles as new, safer routes are available.
The site is particularly remembered for the collapse of the seventy year old bridge in 1964 when a truck with a heavy load of potatoes tried to drive over it. We have photographs of this accident elsewhere in our collection. Just search the words "potato" "truck".
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4826004002541 Longitude: -79.7732822857666
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- S.S.#14 Trafalgar, Glenorchy School
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton