U.S.S. #17 Trafalgar, Ash School
- Media Type
- Item Type
- In 1875, the wooden frame school was built. It burned down in 1932. This is the brick building which replaced it, built in 1934, still a one-room schoolhouse.
Florence Meares started her teaching career here in 1934 at age 18. She was a dedicated, passionate educator who also worked for the rights of women teachers.
Mrs. Mary Proud was another of the Ash teachers. She taught there from 1942-1945. Her own children then were old enough to attend the school so she left until they had graduated, when she returned as the teacher at Ash school.
Mrs. Jean Robertson was the last teacher at U.S.S. #17 when it closed in 1957.
The school was located on Tremaine Rd. (formerly called "Town Line") at Lower Baseline Rd, northeast corner. It was a "union" school drawing children from both Nelson and Trafalgar Townships.
- Date of Original
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4473078989976 Longitude: -79.8298966345215
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- U.S.S. #17 Trafalgar, Ash School
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton