32 Dundas Street East, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Click on "Select Pages" above to view the house photographs. Image No. 2 is the front of the Parks Canada cataloguing index card.
In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find the photographs taken in the Trafalgar Township and Town of Oakville areas. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- The former 32 Dundas Street East is located at Munn's Corners, Oakville (Lot 15 Concession 1 SDS, Dundas and 6th Line), facing Dundas on the south side of the street, just east of the intersection.
This farmhouse belonged to the Munn/Fleming/Hays families. The land was settled in 1803 by Daniel Munn and his wife, Millicent who opened an inn and tavern sometime before 1814. Their son King Henry Munn took the property over.
A sketch in the 1858 Tremaine Map atlas for Halton County shows the house as a taller brick building.
In later years, area teacher Alexander Fleming married King Henry's daughter, Millicent Munn on December 30, 1914. They lived with Millie's father (King Henry Munn) on the Munn family farm and raised their family in this house. The family also owned land on Lot 14 1 SDS and Lot 15 1 NDS. Robert Dewart Fleming, son of Alex and Minnie, in turn managed the farm and raised his family there.
After a fire in the 1930s much of the house was rebuilt with a lower roofline, new windows, etc. The brick quoins remain but the house was quite altered. (Information provided by the Town of Oakville Heritage Planner.)
R.D. Fleming sold the farm in the mid-1950s. It was then owned by the Hays family with "Mr. Hays" named on the Parks Canada index card as the 1971 owner. The land is now a subdivision.
Click on the links shown under the image in this record to see other photographs of the house through the years. Other images are in our collection so search by family name and address to find them all.
- Front of the Parks Canada index card: 06177001800032 ; 0602y20 ; NPC 464 (9-70) 7530-21-029-3938
Back of the Parks Canada index card: Present Owner Mr Hays. Estimated date built: 1860. 06177001800032
- Date Of Event:
- December 29, 1971
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- 32 Dundas Street East, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton