Transcripts of Documents of the 3rd Regiment of York Militia During the War of 1812. Transcribed and Indexed by Fred Blair
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Introduction by Fred Blair:
These documents were transcribed here in order by the date of each pay period or muster roll. The microfilm documents were not in this order. There were multiple copies of some documents and those usually included some changes. The transcribers comments appear in square brackets.
A number of these payrolls include detachments in which the 3rd York men served with the 1st York and 1st Durham men. Note that there were variations in the spelling of the men’s names. Some men served in more than one company during the war and some were transferred between regiments and corps. It was difficult to ascertain which of the men in the mixed detachments were from the 3rd York Militia. The transcriber has identified as many as possible in each set of Remarks, based upon the same names having been found in other 3rd York companies and detachments.
The 3rd York men were present at the Capture of Fort Detroit, the Battle of Queenston Heights, and the Capture of York. Captains Heward and Cameron commanded flank companies at Queenston. For a number of reasons, those payrolls were not found in this collection.
The muster area of the 3rd York included the townships north and east of the Town of York. The 1st York Militia mustered from the town and the 2nd York Militia mustered from the townships to the west.
This set of documents included muster rolls, pay lists, pay adjustments, officer’s property tax on pay, killed and disabled lists, officer’s commission and promotion dates, retired officer lists, and returns of men and ordnance.
As well as routine militia serve, from the document titles and remarks, men were absent with and without leave, deceased, detained by sickness, deserters, disabled, escorting American prisoners, exempted from service, hidden in the woods, impressing teamsters, in companies, in detachments, in gaol, in the cavalry, in rifle companies, in Scotland, in the artillery, in the commissariat, in the engineers department, in the field train department, in the hospital, in the King’s works, in the presidents office, in the transport services, killed, looking for deserters, officer’s servants, omitted from pay lists, on bateaux service, on command, on duty, on furlough, on guard, on parole, on public service, paymaster clerks, prisoners, promoted and demoted, repairing roads, substitutes for other men, sick at home, teamsters, transferred to other companies or regiments like the Incorporated Militia, and wounded.
Daily pay rates were:
Colonel 17 Shillings
Major 16 Shillings
Captain 10 Shillings 6 pence
Adjutant 8 Shillings 6 pence
Lieutenant 6 Shillings 6 pence
Quarter Master 6 Shillings 6 pence
Ensign 5 Shillings 3 pence
Sergeant Major 2 Shillings
Sergeant 1 Shilling 4 pence
Private 6 pence
Officer’s Horse 2 Shillings 6 pence
There are at least three other sets of documents from this regiment in other collections. Captain Samuel Ridout’s Order Book is online from Collections Canada at http://data2.archives.ca/e/e435/e010869208.pdf. His May 7, 1814, Muster Roll was also available online but I do not have a source for it. Captain Cameron’s 1812 muster rolls transcription is at http://my.tbaytel.net/bmartin/militia.htm and includes a muster roll of men at the Capture of Fort Detroit. There may be other documents in other collections. If you find more, please let me know.
- You can view and download the entire document to your own computer by clicking on the "Original.pdf" icon below the image of the first page here in this record. You can also view each of the 123 pages individually by clicking on "Pages" "Select" and each page number.
The document has been fully indexed so all search terms will also find occurrances in the document text.
- Transcripts of Documents of the 3rd Regiment of York Militia During the War of 1812. With a Microfilm Index Taken from Library and Archives Canada, Reference: RG9, Militia and Defence, Series 1-B-7 Volumes 1, 16-19. From Digital Microfilms On Line at http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform-digitization/006003-110.02-e.php?&q2=35&interval=50&sk=0&&PHPSESSID=v7eqsqq9pelq09h71e9obolmhm7ena182piflfvomaujktigni51
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date
- Copyright Holder
- Copyright by Fred Blair, March 3, 2019. Enquiries welcome at email@example.com
- Recommended Citation
- Transcripts of Documents of the 3rd Regiment of York Militia During the War of 1812. Transcribed and Indexed by Fred Blair
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton