Closeup of the Bulldozer for Digging Pond, Shillum Farm, 1953
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Rose and Robert Shillum bought the 100 acre dairy farm on the Back Concession (now 3133 Burnhamthorpe Rd. West), Palermo, from Fred Edwards and moved their family from Toronto in 1950.
In 1953, neighbour David (D.A.) Wendover, who ran a contracting and excavation business, dug a new pond and new well on the Shillum farm. (See other records in this collection with photographs and information about the Shillum farm pond and well, and other area construction work by the Wendover business.)
The farm had clean water systems in place, but they weren't sufficient for the Shillum family of five. Wayne provides detailed information in his book of the set-up prior to this 1953 work.
For your further information, a link to the Wendover Construction website is included in this record. A bit of the company history from this website follows here: The family construction business was started in about 1922 by David A. Wendover.... David, or “D.A.” as his friends called him, began his career as a farmer and owned one of the first tractors in the Halton area. He developed his skills in construction along the way by hauling the stone for the roads in the area with his tractor. He continued to hone his construction skills by doing custom threshing and filling for silos, and eventually inventing the blower for the White threshing machine.
When D.A.’s sons, Carl and Brock, became interested in construction, they formed D.A. Wendover and Sons, which later expanded into the gravel business in Milton under the name of DCB Gravel. Early construction projects for the company included area landmarks such as North Burlington’s Lowville Park and many area baseball diamonds and man-made ponds.
- Shillum, Wayne E. The Farmboy in 1950's Palermo Ontario. Publisher: WES Marketing, cJanuary 2018. ISBN 1987978064, 9781987978063 (Available from Amazon.ca)
The photograph was taken in 1953 when the pond was dug. The film was developed in 1954.
- Date of Publication:
- Personal Name(s):
- Robert Henry Shillum, called Bob, April 19, 1915-March 1999 ; Rose Violet Shillum, called Rose, March 14, 1914-April 1998 ; Sons: Robert Lloyd Shillum, called Bob, August 29, 1938-October 3, 1993 ; Wayne Edward Shillum, b. March 12, 1944 ; Brian David Shillum, b.October 6, 1947.
David A. Wendover, called D.A.
- Corporate Name(s):
- Wendover Construction Inc.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Closeup of the Bulldozer for Digging Pond, Shillum Farm, Early 1950's
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton