Shillum Dairy Farm, 1950's
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Rose and Robert Shillum bought the 100 acre dairy farm on the Back Concession (now 3133 Burnhamthorpe Rd. West), Palermo, from Fred Edwards and moved their family from Toronto in 1950. They named their property Rosemar Farms.
This photograph shows an old Department of Highways truck that was adapted for many uses on the farm. Robert converted it to transport animals and one of the annual events was the Milton Fall Fair. Boys Bob, Wayne and Brian were 4H members so they would show one or more of their calves. The old truck not only carried the animals but camping equipment for the 3-4 day event as well as hay, straw and grain for the livestock.
After the new pond was built in 1953, the old truck was parked at one end for changing clothes, seating and storage for campfires, hockey equipment and other recreational activities centered on the pond.
The truck is sitting in front of the main barn which housed the milking area, horse and cow stalls and chicken coop on the ground floor. The barn's higher level held the hay and straw mows, and the grainery.
- Shillum, Wayne E. The Farmboy in 1950's Palermo Ontario. Publisher: WES Marketing, cJanuary 2018. ISBN 1987978064, 9781987978063 (Available from Amazon.ca)
- Personal Name(s):
- Robert Henry Shillum, called Bob, April 19, 1915-March 1999 ; Rose Violet Shillum, called Rose, March 14, 1914-April 1998 ; Sons: Robert Lloyd Shillum, called Bob, August 29, 1938-October 3, 1993 ; Wayne Edward Shillum, b. March 12, 1944 ; Brian David Shillum, b.October 6, 1947.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Shillum Dairy Farm, 1950's
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton