Mrs. Ernest Henderson, Life Membership Certificate, Palermo Women's Institute, 1953
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Minnie Eliza (Stoutt) Henderson, (her husband was W. Ernest Henderson), was inducted as a life time member of the Palermo Women's Institute in 1953.
Minnie and Ernie were members of the Omagh Presbyterian Church congregation, where Ernest sang in the choir for many years. Ernest was a member of Trafalgar Township Council from 1953 to 1956, held office with the Halton Conservatives Association, the Orange Lodge, was a member of the Trafalgar Parks Selection Committee.
Ernest was a contractor who built many of the barns in the area. An uncited newspaper clipping dated May 3, 1956 says he built 115 of the big barns around the area, starting in the building trade at age 17, apprenticed to Haggerty and Peacock, Milton for 3 years, then running his own business. He changed to building houses and says he built hundreds.
The newspaper clipping says he owned the second car in rural Trafalgar Township, a 1914 Model "T" Ford.
Minnie says that they "began going around together when we were going to public school". They married July 25, 1903. Their daughter Wilma married Inspector Harry Wilson of the Trafalgar Township Police Department.
Henderson Road and Henderson Park, site of many memorable summer camps for area children, are named after Ernest.
- Minnie Henderson is in our 1920s photograph of the Omagh Presbyterian Church Ladies Aid linked to this record.
- Ontario Women's Institute ; Life Membership Certificate ; This is to certify that Mrs. Ernest Henderson has been granted Life Membership in the Palermo Women's Institute. This certificate has been granted in recognition of much appreciated service. Date: May 25, 1953. This life membership is transferable to any Women's Institute in Ontario. Past-President: (Mrs. A.) Helen Spencer. (Mrs. H.G.) Wilma M. Wilson. Secretary: (Mrs. D.A.) Vera Wendover. Serial No. P21 To be used in applying for transfer.
- Date Of Event:
- May 28, 1953
- Personal Name(s):
- Walter Ernest Henderson, b.August 3, 1878 Trafalgar, d.October 13, 1956, Hamilton. Minnie Eliza (Stoutt) Henderson, b.December 5, 1877, d.September 20, 1959. They are buried at Evergreen Cemetery, Milton.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Mrs. Ernest Henderson, Life Membership Certificate, Palermo Women's Institute, 1953
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton