Lawrendale, 1510 Bronte Road South, Milton
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- In 1941, Nelson Daniel Lawrence and Mary Margaret Maude Lawrence bought the 100 acre farm of Lot 6 1st Concession New Survey Trafalgar Township (100 acres), also known as 1510 Bronte Street South, Milton from Barbara Jane Stuart.
In 1944, the property was given to their son, Denzil Featherstone Lawrence at his marriage to Marion Miller. They named it "Lawrendale". So many of the family farmed along Highway 25 south of Milton (now Bronte Road) the area was informally known as "The Lawrence Road".
The farm was a dairy operation to 1967, the Lawrences owned the house and about 7 acres after that until about 1996. Denzil was on the Trafalgar Area School Board - we have another record in OurOntario showing the programme for the opening of Trafalgar Township's Snider's School in 1956 which identifies him as such.
Marion wrote articles for Milton's Canadian Champion newspaper as well as being part of the farm dairy operation. One such item appeared in the September 21, 1944 issue of the Canadian Champion, "Pretty September Wedding Saturday at Ebenezer Church", a description of the wedding of Lois Easterbrook and Neil McPhail.
He, Marion and their children were also active members of St. Paul's United Church in Milton.
After retirement from the dairy farm business, Denzil was a successful real estate agent for 27 years, being the first A.E. LePage agent in Milton, first working out of his home.
- House history: The original land patent was granted to Robert Loring in July 1825. Andrew Suiter bought the south half of Lot 6, Concession 1 NS from Henry Freeland in May 1829. Suiter married Hannah Green and they farmed the east half of Lot 6, Concession 1 N. Their stone house was built in 1849. Andrew died on August 19, 1863.
The estate of Robert Suiter sold the farm to English immigrant Arthur George Heaven in 1883. The house was/is 10-rooms, 1 1/2 storey, stone. Land records indicate Arthur G. Heaven sold the farm to his son Herbert Heaven in 1895.
- A picture of the front of the house with the rose garden.
A picture of the old porch at the back of the house.
- Personal Name(s):
- Personal Name(s):
Daniel H. Lawrence, b.1855 d.1929 ; Wife Martha A. Copeland, b.1860 d.1942 ; Daughter Margaret Irene Lawrence b.1901 d.1968. Nelson Daniel Lawrence, b.1892 d.1951 ; Wife Maud Featherstone, b.1899 married 1919. Maude Elizabeth (Pickard) and John Daniel Lester (called Lester) Miller married in 1921 and were parents of Marion Miller. Marion's brothers were Stewart and Norman. Marion Emily (Miller) Lawrence, b.1922 d.2008 Marion Emily (Miller) Lawrence married Denzil Lawrence in 1944. Denzil Featherstone Lawrence, b.1920 d.1999. Children of Marion Emily (Miller) and Denzil Featherstone Lawrence are Marion Elizabeth Jean Gannon (called Betty), b.1945 d.2015 ; Bryon Denzil b.1947 ; Nelson Daniel II, b.1951 d.2009 ; Cheryl Fern (called Fern) (Lawrence) Bruce, b.1952.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Lawrendale, 1510 Bronte Road South, Milton
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton