Alice Breckon with Wrinch Family Members
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Alice J. Breckon is seated in the centre of some of the brothers and sisters of her fiance, Horace.
Mary Wrinch, who became an artist of some renown, is standing. Seated on the right of Alice is Marion Agnes Wrinch. Below her, seated cross-legged is Warwick; he became a businessman in Toronto. Seated on the ground on the left is most likely Charles Wrinch. There were other brothers, Walter Godfrey Wrinch and Frank Sydney Wrinch, and another sister Georgina Wrinch.
The Wrinch sons emigrated from England and farmed at Merton. Their mother and sister(s) joined them in 1884 after the death of their father in England.
Alice was a school teacher and a nurse, a daughter of Ralph and his second wife, Martha Dynes Breckon, also of the Merton area.
Alice J. Breckon married Horace C. Wrinch on June 16, 1900 at "Spruce Lawn", the farm of her brother, H.C. Breckon, in Merton, a former village in the Bronte area of Trafalgar Township, now Oakville, Ontario.
Horace and Alice went west after their marriage, to northern British Columbia where Dr. Wrinch built a hospital on the Skeena River in 1902.
- Further information on Dr. Horace Wrinch can be found in the biography by Geoff Mynett published in 2019. The book is, "Service on the Skeena: Horace Wrinch, Medical Pioneer in Northern British Columbia" by Geoff Mynett. Vancouver, BC : Ronsdale Press.
This is the publisher's factual description of Dr. Wrinch's life work:
Horace Wrinch was a farmer, a doctor and surgeon, a hospital builder, a medical missionary and Methodist minister, a community leader, a magistrate, a two term President of the BC Hospital Association, a two term Liberal representative in the Provincial Legislature, a passionate and early advocate for state-funded health insurance in the 1920s, and a member of Premier Pattullo's six-man Economic Council in the 1930's.
But I recommend you read Geoff's blog to fully realize the extent of Horace and Alice's life in Northern British Columbia. See photographs and stories of the couples early days in Merton as well.
A link to Geoff's website is included in this record.
- Personal Name(s)
- Dr. Horace C. Wrinch, b.1866 d.1939. Alice J. (Breckon) Wrinch, b.1876 d.1923.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Collection
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Alice Breckon with Wrinch Family Members
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton