Wedding Photograph of Alice Breckon and Horace Wrinch, 1900
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A photograph of Horace Wrinch and Alice Breckon on their wedding day, June 16, 1900. They married at the farm of Alice's brother, H.C. Breckon, at his farm in Merton, a former village in the Bronte area of Trafalgar Township, now Oakville, Ontario. The farm was called "Spruce Lawn".
The Wrinch family had come from England in the early 1880's. Horace (and his brother, Leonard who continued to farm in the area until 1919) were Methodists and active in the temperence movement. Horace studied medicine in Toronto. Their sister, Mary, was a well-known artist.
Alice was a school teacher and a nurse, a daughter of Ralph and his second wife, Martha Dynes Breckon, also of the Merton area.
Horace and Alice went west after their marriage, to northern British Columbia where Dr. Wrinch built a hospital on the Skeena River in 1902. He was a medical missionary in Hazelton, B.C., renowned as a doctor and surgeon, for building the hospital, as a farmer and community leader. In the 1920's, as an MLA in the provincial legislature, he was a champion for public health insurance.
- Mary Wrinch, sister of Horace, studied formally and had her first exhibit at the Ontario Society of Artists in 1894. She became a member of the OSA in 1901, and actively continued as an executive member with that Society in future years. In 1918, she was elected an Associate of the Royal Canadian Academy in 1918. This executive work reflected the esteem for her artistry by her peers. As early as 1906, she was painting Muskoka landscapes in oils as well as going further north to Temagami, and west to Algoma, the Agawa Canyon, and Lake Nipigon areas. At this time, this land was not considered "paintable". She knew the Group of Seven members and often exhibited with them.
She married her teacher, George Reid, a widower, in 1922.
The information in this record is courtesy of G. Mynett. Geoff's biography of Dr. Wrinch has been published in 2019 by Ronsdale Press. The title is: Service on the Skeena: Horace Wrinch, Frontier Physician. It is available on Amazon as well as at www.ronsdalepress.com Click on the link to Geoff Mynett's webpage for more information and photographs about Dr. Wrinch.
- Date Of Event:
- June 16, 1900
- Personal Name(s):
- Dr. Horace C. Wrinch, b.1866 d.1939.
Alice J. (Breckon) Wrinch, b.1876 d.1923.
Ralph Breckon (1832-1874).
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Collection
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Wedding Photograph of Alice Breckon and Horace Wrinch, 1900
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton