S.S. #14, Glenorchy School Children, 1930's
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The annual photograph of students attending Glenorchy School sometime in the mid to late 1930's. The schoolhouse was located on the flats of the Sixteen Mile Creek on Fourth Line just below Lower Baseline Road. It was also known as "Pleasant Valley School".
In the front row right on the end are Charlie and Carol Askin. Charlie is wearing a long-sleeved shirt, Carol has a belt on her dress.
Behind the children is the shed protecting the well, the school building is to the right.
The teacher isn't in the photograph - perhaps she or he was taking the picture. For some years, Mrs. Ruth Brownridge taught at Glenorchy. She and her husband, Bob, who was a rural postman for the area, farmed on Fourth Line.
The flats were prone to flooding and the road was quite treacherous in spring and winter, not only because of the flooding but also because there was a hairpin turn as the road crossed the Creek and went up the steep cliffside to Lower Base Line Road.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4861501032506 Longitude: -79.7859852276611
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- S.S. #14, Glenorchy School Children, 1930's
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton