1076 Dundas Street West, 1980s-1990s
- Media Type
- 3 photographs taken by the Town of Oakville Heritage Planning of the old farmhouse at 1076 Dundas Street West. View the photographs by clicking on "Pages" "Select". The first photo in the main record was taken in the 1980's, the next was taken in 1981 and the third was taken in 1991.
This house was on Concession 1, Pt Lot 21, SDS which is on the south side of Dundas Street, just west of Neyagawa Blvd. in today's terms. The land was owned notably by Phillip Triller. The 1816 Trafalgar Township Assessment by Fred Blair and the TTHS shows that Mr. Triller had 16 uncultivated acres and 99 acres of cultivated land. Phillip Triller served in the 2nd Regiment of York Militia during the War of 1812. Mr. Triller was a notable early settler, building the first sawmill on the Sixteen Mile Creek.
This excerpt from the TTHS essay by Michelle Knoll provides more information about this early settler: Mills
Triller's Mill - 1805, as a young man of 18-20, Philip Triller walked from the American State of New Jersey to Upper Canada with his 9 brothers and sisters, mother and father (Philip & Mary Catherine) who settled from Grimsby through Nelson & Trafalgar Townships along Lake Ontario. Triller drew lot 21, 1st concession south of Dundas Street. Triller's land was in the area west of present day Neyagawa, below Dundas . (Riverbank way, Valley Hgts Cres., Valley Stream Pl., Valley Forest Way, Valley Crest Circle & River Heights Gate.) The first mill in the township was built on the Sixteen by Phillip Triller. In 1808 he petitioned the Lieutenant-Governor saying that although there were very few acres fit for cultivation he has completed the settlement duties on the land and has received the Patent. Triller states that because much of the Sixteen Mile Creek is reserved for the Indians there are not many mill sites south of Dundas. Triller requested lot 32 on the Lakeshore but it already belonged to William Allan. When nothing came of his petition Triller established a grist and saw mill at Dundas Street on his original grant of land. The mill was about a mile south of the Dundas Street, and not far from the Upper Middle Road. Triller opened a road to the mill called "Hickory Grove." In 1817 some local settlers who wrote of their living conditions said that "the rate of sawing is one half when the sawlogs are carried to the mill." The mill lasted until the 1830's.
Miss Mary Clements took ownership in 1865 or 6.
- Thank you to C. Van Sligtenhorst, Town of Oakville, Heritage Planner, District East/Central Planning Services, for allowing this series of images to be part of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society digital collection. Our intent is to make the information and images widely available for viewing, and for information.
- Personal Name(s)
- Triller, Phillip, 1786-1866
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4621441766136 Longitude: -79.7475702043152
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 1076 Dundas Street West, 1980s-1990s
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton