Palermo Hall Receipts and Expenditures
The Oakville Record Print., Printer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Ledger Book
- There is no indication of the year for this Palermo Hall statement of Receipts and Expenditures but looking through the expenditures for brick, roofing, timber, cement, window blinds, metal roofing, furnace, and seeing the list of individual donors and proceeds receipts, perhaps it is for the construction of the Hall in 1912.
The community of Palermo started as early as 1806. By 1835, the town had developed enough to boast its own post office, churches, schools, stores, blacksmith and surrounding mixed farming. The active community started the Palermo Sons of Temperance in 1850 and this group was the genus of the community hall.
The last "Palermo Public Hall Corporation" building (as the hall was legally called) was built in 1912 on Lot 31, 1st Con SDS. The building was totally funded by the people of Palermo and the events held in it - no government money aided the Hall. The Hall saw many social, sporting, political, religious events over the next 61 years.
In 1973, the building was demolished to widen Bronte Road.
When the cornerstone of the demolished building was lifted, it held a surprise. On the back of the stone, it was carved with the death date and misspelled name of Mary Inglehart. The Tweedsmuir History scrapbook has a newspaper clipping about this, as people thought that the stonemason's error ("Ingelhart") meant he had to redo the gravestone for the family, so his shop later used the stone for a purpose where the error was not likely to be seen.
Several items from the Hall, including the flag pole which was erected in memory of Dr. Anson Buck, are now in the collection of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society. Our digital collection also holds a front-view photograph of the Hall, while several street view photographs include the Hall building in the background.
- Date Of Event:
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Palermo Hall Receipts and Expenditures
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton