S.S. #4, Snider's School, 1937
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Snider's school was first built on land owned by Ephraim Post Concession 1, Lot 6, NDS. We know S.S. #4 was in use by 1877 and the 1878 Atlas shows it right on the corner on the southwest side of Ninth Line and Burnhamthorpe Road.
The 200 acre Lot 6 was first owned by William Tisdale.
The old one-room S.S. #4 Snider's School shown in this photograph was closed in 1956. The building was used as a house until 2010 when it was torn down for road widening. At that time, the Town of Oakville gave the old "S.S. #4" sign boards to the Trafalgar Township Historical Society.
November 29, 1956 was the official opening of the new Snider's Public School, home of the team shown here. Snider's Public School closed at the end of June 1976.
The 1956 school building is on Burnhamthorpe Road, north side, just east of Trafalgar Road, in use since 1998 as an Islamic centre.
Front Row, left to right: Ronald Hemsley, ?, Lawrence Hemsley, ? Watts, ?
2nd Row: Connie Thomas, Eva Pickering, Barb Royle, Margaret Thomas, Leanor Hutton, Phylis Fish, Shirley Pickering.
Back Row: Claude Clifton, Don Albertson, ?Watts, Warren Clifton, Miss Maxwell (Alice Shain), Lloyd Pickeriing, Wally Pickering, Alfred Bentley, John Clifton.
- S.S. No. 4 Trafalgar 1937
- Date Of Event:
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- S.S. #4, Snider's School, 1937
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton