Sketch of the Home of King Henry Munn and Family
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This a sketch of the home of the family of King Henry Munn at 32 Dundas Street East, Munn's Corners, Oakville (or Lot 15 Concession 1 SDS, at Dundas and 6th Line.) He was the youngest son of early Trafalgar Township settler, Daniel Munn.
This sketch from the 1858 Tremaine Map shows this house as a taller brick house. After a fire in the 1930s much of it was rebuilt with a lower roofline, new windows, etc. The brick quoins remain but the house was quite altered. (Information provided by the Town of Oakville Heritage Planner.)
Area teacher, Alexander Fleming, married Millicent Munn on December 30, 1914. They lived with Millie's father (King Henry Munn) on the Munn family farm and raised their family in this house. The family also owned land on Lot 14 1 SDS and Lot 15 1 NDS. Robert Dewart Fleming, son of Alex and Millie, in turn managed the farm and raised his family there.
This Munn farm was sold in the mid-1950s and later owned by the Hays family.
- A link to a 2003 photograph of the house is in this record for your information.
A link to another photo connected with this house, that of a barn raising on the farm when it was owned by R.D. Fleming, is in this record for your further information.
- Residence of K.H. Munn, Esq. Munn's Corners
- Personal Name(s)
- King Henry Munn, b.1820 d.November 15, 1905, and Ann Catherine Snider, b.April 10, 1821 d.August 24, 1884 Their daughter Millicent (called Millie) Munn married Robert Alexander (called Alex) Fleming. Robert Dewart Fleming, some of Alex and Millie, married Margaret M. Swift of Grimsby on December 30, 1914.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4800171016836 Longitude: -79.727947116394
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Sketch of the Home of King Henry Munn and Family
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton