2003 Photograph of 32 Dundas Street East, The Munn Family House
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This is a 2003 photograph of the Munn/Fleming/Hays families farmhouse that stood at 32 Dundas Street East, Munn's Corners, Oakville (Lot 15 Concession 1 SDS, at Dundas and 6th Line.)
As per the Town of Oakville Heritage Planner in 2016: In the 1858 Tremaine Map, this house is shown as a taller brick house. After a fire in the 1930s, much of it was rebuilt with a lower roofline, new windows, etc. The brick quoins remain but the house was quite altered.
A link to a sketch of the old house is included in this record for your information.
Area teacher Alexander Fleming, married Millicent Munn on December 30, 1914. They lived with Millie's father (King Henry Munn) on the Munn family farm and raised their family in this house. The family also owned land on Lot 14 1 SDS and Lot 15 1 NDS. Robert Dewart Fleming, son of Alex and Millie, in turn managed the farm and raised his family there.
A link to another photo connected with this house, that of a barn raising on the farm when it was owned by R.D. Fleming, is in this record for your further information.
R.D. Fleming sold the farm in the mid-1950s. It was then owned by the Hays family.
- The house photograph is from the website of and with the permission of Jeremy Borsos, linked in this record for your further information. Mr. Borsos has a project that "us[es] postcards and letters as a device to measure change against the current state of their intended stopping places...."
He points out that, "The destinations for these missives were houses and commercial blocks built to last a lifetime but often outlived by the simple pieces of fragile paper. Someone's home could now be a fast food outlet or a parking lot. Known, mundane details of the everyday obscure tender details of the individual. Even when the very same structure stands before us, the past is revealed in the built world where palpable history surrounds us invisibly."
- Mr. Chas. Munn, RR No 1, Oakville Ontario. The postmark is Toronto, June 8, 1937.
- Personal Name(s)
- Charles Munn ; King Henry Munn, b.1820 d.November 15, 1905, married Ann Catherine Snider, b.April 10, 1821 d.August 24, 1884. Their daughter Millicent (called Millie) Munn married Robert Alexander (called Alex) Fleming. Robert Dewart Fleming, some of Alex and Millie, married Margaret M. Swift of Grimsby on December 30, 1914.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4798925415877 Longitude: -79.7275179629517
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 2003 Photograph of 32 Dundas Street East, The Munn Family House
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton