Palermo Agricultural Works
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This mounted, coloured photograph from the 1877 Illustrated Historical Atlas of the County of Halton published by Walker & Miles is inscribed, "The Palermo Agricultural Works, W.A. Lawrence, Pro(prieter) Palermo, Ont." The main building is labelled, "Palermo Iron Foundry".
The various workshops of the foundry such as the "wood shop", "pattern house", "store house and paint shop" are labelled.
The foundry and agricultural works were the principal business in the village of Palermo according to the 1877 Atlas. It had been started by Jacob Lawrence in 1842. In 1847, their first prize was for the Third Best Canadian Plough at the Provincial Agricultural Fair in Hamilton. They apparently later took first prize for the design and toughness of their Palermo Plowshear at the World's Agricultural Show in Philadelphia.
An ad for the foundry in the Halton Directory of 1869-70 read, "J. Lawrence & Son's Agricultural Works & Machine Shop, Palermo, Ontario. Established in the year 1842. Manufacturers of Ball's Ohio Combined Reaper and Mower, Improved with Self-Rake Attachment, Which Obtained the First Prize and Diploma at the Provincial Fair of 1868, Also Improved Threshing Machines, Ploughs, Cultivators, Land Rollers (2 Sizes) Straw Cutters, and all kinds of Farming Implements. Jacob Lawrence, W.A. Lawrence."
Apparently, W.A. believed in aggressive marketing. Another local newspaper ad read, "Mr. W.A. Lawrence of Palermo Agricultural Works is preparing BIG GUNS in the way of various agricultural implements for the coming season. His gentelmanly and somewhat ponderous agent Mr. Jos. Long is giving his chin a rest so he will be prepared to explain the many excellent qualities of the PALERMO HARVESTER when the proper time arrives!"
They made the bell for St. Luke's Chapel at Palermo.
W.A. Lawrence succeeded his father in the business. He was Deputy Reeve of Trafalgar Township in 1854 and Reeve from 1857-1859.
Up to 20 men were employed by the foundry. It was located south of Dundas, east of Highway 25. It burned on October 25, 1955 after an explosion in a plastics operation.
- W.A. and Agnes had five children:
Clara Eliza married Edward Hodgeson.
Walter Lockwood Boehm Lawrence.
John Blake Lawrence.
Frederick Jacob Lawrence.
- Date Of Event:
- Personal Name(s):
- Jacob Lawrence, b.1817 d.1875, married Eliza Buck, b.1818 d.1900.
The three sons of Jacob and Eliza:
Clinton Philip Lawrence, b.1840 d.1902 - was a partner in the foundry for a short time, had some medical training and farmed.
Walter Anson Lawrence, b.1843 d.1912, married Agnes T. Smith. W.A. succeeded his father in the foundry business.
Gerard William Jacob Lawrence.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Palermo Agricultural Works
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton