Snider's School, S.S. No. 4, Trafalgar Township
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Snider's school was first built on land owned by Ephraim Post Concession 1, Lot 6, NDS. We know S.S. #4 was in use by 1877 and the 1878 Atlas shows it right on the corner on the southwest side of Ninth Line and Burnhamthorpe Road.
The 200 acre Lot 6 was first owned by William Tisdale.
The old one-room S.S. #4 Snider's School was closed in 1956. The building was used as a house until 2010 when it was torn down for road widening. At that time, the Town of Oakville gave the old "S.S. #4" sign boards to the Trafalgar Township Historical Society.
November 29, 1956 was the official opening of the new Snider's Public School, it closed at the end of June 1976.
The 1956 school building is on Burnhamthorpe Road, north side, just east of Trafalgar Road, in use since 1998 as an Islamic centre.
Burnhamthorpe Road was opened around 1850, running east/west between Concession 1 and Concession 2 NDS. The north/south roads of Trafalgar Township between Dundas Street and Lake Ontario were opened early in the 1800s. Trafalgar Road or Seventh Line was one of the first to go north of Dundas (opened by 1830) to allow settlers above Lower Baseline access to Lake Ontario and its harbours.
- A new edition of the study of the Snider family in America has been prepared by Mr. Howard J. Simkover in 2018. Mr. Simkover invites interested people to read and download his documented, authoritative history which he has openly placed in Google Drive, linked here. The history is so large it is in two parts.
Mr. Simkover started his research because an old painted sign reading, "GA Snider Photographer" on a building side in Ottawa, Ontario near Bank and Slater Streets caught his eye. Wondering about this 120 year old sign lead him to research and share this incredible family history.
After the initial publication of his work in 2015, members of the family have commented and contributed information. It is also thought that the sign in Ottawa will be maintained by the current building owner.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Snider's School, S.S. No. 4, Trafalgar Township
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton