273 Burnhamthorpe Road East, Oakville
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph of the 20th century farmhouse was taken in 2010. An older house had been built on this farm on Lot 2 NDS Con. 13 in 1841 by Evan Jones, along with outbuildings and a 20th century gambrel barn. The house is on the Town of Oakville 2007 Heritage Inventory (Not Designated as of August 1992) with one-time owner, John Jones associated with it.
The farm was purchased from Art Campbell and his family in the 1950's by Lloyd and Evelyn Pickering. Ownership details are found in the attached historical research document for your further information.
In the 1970's, family member Harley Pickering competed in the Halton Plowing Match. You will find several newspaper clippings with his name as prize winner in "OurOntario Images". Harley took over the farm from his father, Lloyd Pickering, it has since been sold. Harley Pickering continues in business with Vern's Water Services, Milton.
A photograph taken of the house in 2015 by the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is on "Page 2" of this record.
A link to a TTHS digital record and copy of the photograph of the barn taken by Ruth Blair of Blair Archival Research in 2016 is provided for your further information.
- Burnhamthorpe Road, or Concession 2, was opened around 1850. The north/south roads of Trafalgar Township between Dundas Street and Lake Ontario were opened early in the 1800s. Trafalgar Road or Seventh Line was one of the first to go north of Dundas (opened by 1830) to allow settlers above Lower Baseline access to Lake Ontario and its harbours.
The Spring/Summer 2013 TTHS Newsletter linked here has another photograph and further information on this house.
- Personal Name(s):
- Harley Pickering ; Evan Jones ; John Jones
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- 273 Burnhamthorpe Road East, Oakville
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton