1158 Burnhamthorpe Road East, Oakville, Ontario
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- At time of writing in November 2014, this house is still standing although vandalized. It sits on the south side of Burnhamthorpe Road, just west of the old Snider's Corners at Ninth Line, Oakville. This area is being prepared for development and there are a number of boarded up, fenced off old buildings. The barn at 1158 Burnhamthorpe Road East was dismantled and now is a wonderful art gallery room for the Joshua Creek Heritage Art Centre next door at 1086 Burnhamthorpe Road East, Oakville.
Neighbour Sybil Rampen told us the house in this photograph was cramped, the little narrow stairs going to the second floor made everyone duck. A kitchen area was built on the back of the house with a sunny porch facing south over the fields in later years.
Additional photographs taken in late 2015 are also included in this record.
The east half of 1 NDS Lot 9, which is the half that 1158 sits on, was owned by Hugh Coyne in 1854. In 1889 it was sold to John Albert Hall for $4,850, so we can conclude the house was built by then.
The 1915 Vernon's Farmers and Business Directory for the Counties of Dufferin, Halton, Peel, Waterloo and Wellington list William Dryland as the freeholder of the property. Neighbour Sybil Rampen told us Billy Dryland and his wife raised five children there.
- Burnhamthorpe Road was opened around 1850, running east/west between Concession 1 and Concession 2 NDS. The north/south roads of Trafalgar Township between Dundas Street and Lake Ontario were opened early in the 1800s. Trafalgar Road or Seventh Line was one of the first to go north of Dundas (opened by 1830) to allow settlers above Lower Baseline access to Lake Ontario and its harbours.
In 1808, Hannah Young was given the patent for all 200 acres of Lot 6, 2 NDS. Michael Snider bought all in 1810 and the area became known as Snider's Corners.
Burnhamthorpe Road east of 9th Line became part of Mississauga in 1974. Thus, Heritage Mississauga has an excellent write-up on Snider's Corners, linked here for your information.
- Date Of Event:
- Personal Name(s):
- Hugh Coyne ; John Albert Hall ; William (Billy) Dryland
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- 1158 Burnhamthorpe Road East, Oakville, Ontario
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton