S.S. No.4, Snider's School, Trafalgar Township
- Media Type
- Item Type
- First, a close-up photograph of the old one-room schoolhouse, S.S. #4, Trafalgar Township just before it was torn down for the widening of the road in 2010. Part of the old circle up near the peak of the roof above the front door can be seen, with the hand lettering showing "SECTION" which was part of the "School Section" number.
The second image is a full view of the old school front, taken at the same time.
Snider's school was first built on land owned by Ephraim Post Concession 1, Lot 6, NDS. We know S.S. #4 was in use by 1877 and the 1878 Atlas shows it right on the corner on the southwest side of Ninth Line and Burnhamthorpe Road.
The 200 acre Lot 6 was first owned by William Tisdale.
The old one-room S.S. #4 Snider's School was closed in 1956. The building was used as a house until 2010 when it was torn down for road widening. At that time, the Town of Oakville gave the old "S.S. #4" sign boards to the Trafalgar Township Historical Society.
November 29, 1956 was the official opening of the new Snider's Public School, it was closed at the end of June 1976.
The 1956 school building is on Burnhamthorpe Road, north side, just east of Trafalgar Road, in use since 1998 as an Islamic centre.
- Links in this record point to an article in the Trafalgar Township Historical Society Newsletter which has a photograph of the school in its heyday. You can clearly see the bell on the roof and the lovely big windows that provided good light inside the building.
In 1974 the area east of 9th Line became part of Mississauga. Thus, Heritage Mississauga has an excellent write-up on Snider's Corners, linked here for your information.
Burnhamthorpe Road was opened around 1850, running east/west between Concession 1 and Concession 2 NDS. The north/south roads of Trafalgar Township between Dundas Street and Lake Ontario were opened early in the 1800s. Trafalgar Road or Seventh Line was one of the first to go north of Dundas (opened by 1830) to allow settlers above Lower Baseline access to Lake Ontario and its harbours.
A new edition of the study of the Snider family in America has been prepared by Mr. Howard J. Simkover in 2018. Mr. Simkover invites interested people to read and download his documented, authoritative history which he has openly placed in Google Drive, linked here. The history is so large it is in two parts.
Mr. Simkover started his research because an old painted sign reading, "GA Snider Photographer" on a building side in Ottawa, Ontario near Bank and Slater Streets caught his eye. Wondering about this 120 year old sign lead him to research and share this incredible family history.
After the initial publication of his work in 2015, members of the family have commented and contributed information. It is also thought that the sign in Ottawa will be maintained by the current building owner.
- Date Of Event
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.48341 Longitude: -79.71632
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- S.S. No.4, Snider's School, Trafalgar Township
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton