North Trafalgar Community Club, 1946
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- In 1921 a family newly arrived in north Trafalgar Township was in desperate need of help. A small group of women got together to provide the family with clothing and food donations. Their efforts were greatly appreciated and on September 15, 1921, they met to form a club to continue providing aid to the community. The motto was, "A rose to the living is worth many flowers to the dead", or, "Flowers for the living". At the January 1922 meeting, they christened their group, "The North Trafalgar Community Club" and Mr. Doug McGregor, better known as Sandy, presented them with a song which opened every meeting thereafter.
Deliberately run without red tape or the support of a larger organization, club members helped victims of fires, paid to help with hospitalization and/or nursing care, visited people ill or shut-in at home, provided donations to local charities, and during war-time packed ditty-bags. The active women invited speakers to keep informed and raised money with euchre and dance parties.
- Each year on the club's anniversary, a mystery bus trip was planned for members and their families and this series of photographs commemorates those events.
- Date of Publication:
- Date Of Event:
- Personal Name(s):
- Back row left to right: Viva Hamilton, Mary Leslie, Dora McCarron, Kathleen May, Mrs. (Mary) Leslie, Dorreen Ball, Verna Near, Louise O'Connor, ?, Emily Beattie, ?, Mrs. Cordingley, Vera Williamson.
Second row left to right: ?, Irene McCracken, Mrs. Stephens and John, Ottilie Dowling, Mrs. Campbell, Pearl Turnbull, Marion Leslie, Edna Ball and Margaret Ball, Maybelle May.
Front row left to right: ?, ?, Mrs. Wood and children, Marilyn Leslie, Margaret Leslie, ?, ?
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Recommended Citation:
- North Trafalgar Community Club, 1946
Trafalgar Township Historical Society