John Durlan and Margaret Smith
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- John D. Smith's grandparents had been British Loyalists who came to the Niagara penninsula and settled in Grimsby Township. The family was large, bringing 4 children with 8 more children born in Upper Canada. John's father was their oldest son, Isaac, born in New Jersey (1754-1826) and his mother was Hannah Wilcox (1759-1838).
Isaac Smith received the land titles to various lots in Trafalgar Township and in 1831, he transferred the title of Lot 34, Concession 1 South of Dundas Street to John. John's family and descendants farmed this property until the land was acquired for Bronte Creek Provincial Park in 1972 by the Ontario government.
The property is on the north-east corner of Bronte Creek Provincial Park. South side of Dundas Street, just east of Tremaine Rd.
- John's middle name on the written on the note accompanying the photograph is, "Durlin". The State 1 Archaeological Assessment of 3340 Dundas Street West, Oakville by Golder Associates, December 19, 2012 says his middle name is "Dorland", explaining that his birth certificate clearly specifies his second name as such.
Margaret was 46 years old when her son, Walker, was born, after 23 years of marriage. We have been provided with no date for this photograph so can only guess that it is probably in the years 1854 to 1879 when she died at age 61.
This image is a photographic glass plate.
- Mr. & Mrs. John Durlin Smith, parents of Mr. Walker Smith, Palermo
- Personal Name(s):
- John Durlin Smith, b.October 20, 1806, d. November 16, 1896 in Palermo, Trafalgar Township. On October 25, 1831 he married Margaret Book Walker, b. September 28, 1808, d. March 12, 1879 in Palermo.
Their son: John Walker Smith, b.August 31, 1854, m.October 26, 1881 to Keturah Margaret Inglehart, d.April 28, 1930. Keturah Inglehart, b.August 21, 1858, d.June 8, 1918.
Children of Walker and Keturah: Arthur Albert, b.December 1883, d. 1970, and John Russell, b.1886. Art married Mabel Bridgeman from the hamlet of Zimmerman at Appleby and 2nd Line. Mabel b.1884 d.1962.
Son of Art and Mabel: Reginald Smith, born May 29, 1923, died May 29, 2010.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- John Durlan and Margaret Smith
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton