Oakville Police Department Building
- Media Type
- Item Type
- According to Bill McDermott, Police Clerk at the time of this photograph, it was taken in the late 1950s. The police were located in the farthest left (east) part of the white building. There was a narrow office space and front desk leading to the clerk's desk, and the Chief's office was at the back. The original safe of the former bank was in the Chief's office which housed a Tommy machine gun seized years before in Prohibition years. Further through beyond the Chief's office was the two basic iron holding cells of the jail.
Next door on the right (or west) was the office of the Town Clerk with the Clerk, Clarence Byers and Dennis Camm and Marnie Ireland on staff.
Next door to the west was the entrance to the Council chambers and Court which were upstairs. The next building was home to the Oakville Record-Star, a weekly newspaper owned by Wilder Breckenridge. The next door to the west was the entrance to the second floor Oddfellows Hall. Past that, on the corner of Navy Street, was Rapps Bakery where Gray Coach bus tickets were also available.
Bill says that after Oakville amalgamated with Trafalgar, the police needed the space of the two buildings shown. Also helping to date the photograph are the air conditioners which were added in the late 1950's; previously, that "little, narrow offcie was only cooled by opening both front and rear doors. It was hot!", Bill remembers.
- Police Dept.
No parking between signs, Police Department
- Personal Name(s)
- William McDermott, Police Clerk, 1950 to 1953. Chief J.B. Derry ; Sgt. Len Brown ; Sgt. Ed Heath ; Cpl. Alf Hooks (Safety Officer) Al Evershed, PC ; Peter Devenish, PC
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.48341 Longitude: -79.71632
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Oakville Police Dept. Building
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton