Sixteen Mile Creek 1885 Bridge
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This photograph of "the metal 88-foot (26.8 m) bridge built in 1885 was the first dependable bridge to carry Dundas Street over Sixteen Mile Creek but came too late for the villagers. It served well until the first concrete high-level bridge spanned the ravine in 1921, an engineering marvel which people came from miles around to see. The old tortuous road was finally closed in 1922. In 1960 the 1921 bridge was in its turn superseded by the present four-lane bridge, but the piers of the earlier bridge remain. Now in 2008, the bridge is again undergoing reconstruction with new piers built on the same line as 1921. Taken from "Sixteen Hollow - 1820-1880: by Judith Bourke, link provided in this record.
Ms. Bourke also says, "The journey to the village at the foot of the steeply sloping sides of the ravine was notoriously dangerous."
For more information on the Sixteen Hollow Village, please read Ms. Bourke's full article.
- Note the two women standing on the bridge. Their long dresses and the power lines indicate this photograph may have been taken around 1920.
- Sixteen Bridge
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.43341 Longitude: -79.66631
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Sixteen Mile Creek 1885 Bridge
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton