F.R. Powell Family Farm Photographs
- Media Type
- Item Type
- These photographs are of the farm that Frank Ronald Powell and his wife, Ruth Irene (Cullingworth) Powell bought after their marriage in 1919 - "the old Caverhill place"as Ron called it, is shown on the 1877 historical map of Trafalgar Township as the lot owned by Thos. Caverhill (3), running north of what is now Upper Middle Road, Oakville, west side of the Sixteen Mile Creek, now just south of the Ukranian cemetary. Frank (also called Ron) is sitting on the running board of the car with his youngest daughter, Muriel, on his lap. His oldest daughter, Mary, is standing beside him, and as per the information in the inscription below, I think it is her grandfather, Frank Whitlock Powell, who has his arm around her, not Ernie Irvine as written on the picture. The boys in the car are not known. Frank and Ruth worked hard on the farm but it wasn't profitable nor were the buildings in good condition, so in 1926 they moved into Toronto where Frank worked for Brown's Bread, then Curries ties who continually had work for him until he was in his 80's.
- Mary, my mother, remembered walking up and down the Sixteen "hogsbacks" to reach her grandparents who lived on the Jemmima Biggar farm, on the north east side of the Sixteen and the "Dundas highway". King and Joyce families were also relatives living in the area. I'm dating the picture as 1923 because of Muriel's age. She looks to be 9 to 14 months old here; she was born in 1922.
- Handprinted below the photograph of the people is, "F.R. Powell, Muriel, Mary, Ernie Irvine." I think this label might be incorrect, though, as Ernie Irvine was a younger man, about the same age as Frank. I suggest the older man in the driver's seat of the car is Frank's father, Frank Whitmore Powell. (Ernie Irvine had the farm across the road from Frank and Ruth.)
- Place of Publication
- Trafalgar Township, Ontario
- Date of Publication
Width: 567 px
Height: 478 px
- Personal Name(s)
- Frank Whitlock Powell, 1863-1929. Frank Ron Powell, October 13, 1891-March 25, 1978. Ruth Irene (Cullingworth) Powell, August 30, 1898-September 16, 1971. Ruth Mary (Powell) Choate, July 19, 1920-May 10, 2006. Muriel Frances (Powell) Gordon, July 5, 1922-December 13, 2010.
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.43341 Longitude: -79.66631
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton