F.W. Powell Family
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Jane (King) Powell, b. December 25, 1863, was born in Slaugham, Sussex, England and already had King family sisters and brothers living in Trafalgar Township when she and Frank Whitlock Powell emigrated with their family in 1908. She died in Toronto on October 22, 1952.
Frank Whitlock Powell married Jane King on September 6, 1890 in St. Nicholas, Brighton England. F.W.'s father and grandfather were British soldiers, fighting in India and the Crimea where Harry Powell took part in the Charge of the Light Brigade. Frank Whitlock was born July 24, 1863 and died in 1929.
Frank Ronald Powell, their oldest son, my grandfather, was born October 13, 1891 - a true Cockney, died March 25, 1978. Married Ruth Irene Cullingworth in 1919.
Norah Anne, March 12, 1894-December 8, 1961, never married. Died at Nell's house in Sacramento.
Helena Frances (Nell), born January 1, 1898, married George W. Dougherty, died December 8, 1981. They lived in Sacramento, CA.
Herbert Alan, always called Herb, was born in September 6, 1899 and married Jean McKellar, died October 10, 1922.
F.W. and Jane, Herb and Jean, Frank R. and Ruth are all buried in St. John's Norway Cemetery in Toronto.
- This photograph was probably taken at a family home in England just before they emigrated to Canada as family labels say F.R. Powell is 16 years old in the photograph and the family emigrated in 1908.
- Place of Publication
- Trafalgar Township, Ontario
- Date of Publication
Width: 1382 px
Height: 910 px
- Personal Name(s)
- Frank Whitlock Powell is back row left, back row centre is Jane, called Jenny, (King) Powell, then their oldest daughter Norah, on the right is their oldest son Frank Ronald age 16, centre front is Herb and on his left in front is Nell.
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.43341 Longitude: -79.66631
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton