Wettlaufer Family Photo, Late 1940's
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Eckhardt Wetlauffer with his wife, Ethel, and his sisters. L-R; Charlotte Waterbury, (?), Rosetta Wilson, (?) Ada Hill, Eckhardt Wettlaufer, Ethel Wettlaufer.
The younger men/lads in the photograph are likely the sons of Ethel and Eckhardt, Harold and George Wettlaufer.
- In 1905, George Wettlaufer who had been born in Perth County and kept a general store at Hawksville in Waterloo County moved to farm in Trafalgar Township on the 2nd Concession (aka Back Concession) and Highway 25. (In modern times, this is Burnhamthorpe Road and Bronte Road in Oakville, Halton County, Ontario.)
The farm was called Fairview Farm and continued to be farmed by several generations of the Wettlaufer family.
5 years before his death, George Senior retired to live in Palermo with two of his widowed daughters - Adelina and Rosetta - at 2467 (Old) Bronte Rd – PT Lot 30 Con 1 Trafalgar SDS. His son, Eckhardt, also lived in Palermo while his other children were scattered from Toronto, Brantford, New York to Regina, Saskatchewan. After the death of her husband, Arthur, in New York, Charlotte Waterbury also came back to the Bronte Road house.
George Senior bought 2467 Bronte Road where family members lived into the 21st century.
- Personal Name(s):
- George Wettlaufer, b.September 14, 1850 d. Nov 13, 1931. Married Elizabeth Violet Rennie, b.1851 d.March 25, 1915. She died at Fairview Farm, age 64.
Their youngest son was Eckhardt Reiner Elton Wettlaufer, b. November 30, 1894, d.November 28, 1956. He married Ethel Irene Giles in 1924.
Eckhardt's sisters were: Mrs. (Georgina) J.J. Wilson, Mrs. (Charlotte) A.E. Waterbury d.June 9, 1983, Mrs. (Rosetta called Etta) R. Christener, Mrs. (Adelina) J. B. Hill.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Wettlaufer Family Photo, Late 1940's
Trafalgar Township Historical Society