Home of John A. and Maggie Ford
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- John A. Ford and Maggie Ford neé Newell lived here at Omagh. They were caretakers of Omagh school, S.S. #6. They built a fire in the wood stove every morning in the winter so the school would be warm when the children arrived. Robert R. Ford and Mary Ford (Featherstone) moved here in the early 1940’s.
- Information from Isobel Ford:
This house on the Fifth Line was built by my great grandfather James Ford – my grandfather J.A. Ford and family lived here, also my father R.R. Ford and family. Hank, Jim, and myself were all born in this house. We had no indoor plumbing or electricity. We did our homework with a gas or oil lamp. We pumped our drinking water from a well and our wash water from a cistern.
The basement had mud walls and a mud floor with planks laid out to walk on. When Isobel was small the family did not have a refrigerator, so carrots, potatoes, and other vegetables were kept down there in bags of sand to keep them from rotting. The basement was home to rats, mice and all kinds of other creatures, and the most frightening thing in the world was to be sent down there with just an oil lamp and having to stick your hand in one of those bags of sand.
The Ford farm was on 5th Line at Lower Base Road, Trafalgar Township.
- Personal Name(s):
- James Robertson Ford, 1823-1896. Married Jane McLean, 1824-1894. John Albert Ford, 1859-1939. Married Mary Margaret Newell, called Maggie, 1869-1953. R.R. Ford is Robert Robertson Ford, b.November 20, 1883 d.November 8, 1970. Married Mary Bell (Featherstone) on September 17, 1921 (1898-1974).
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Home of John A. and Maggie Ford
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton