Coyne School 1951-1952, Grades 1-4.
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Grades 1, 2, 3, & 4 at Coyne School, 1952.
Coyne Public School, S.S. #9, was located at the northwest corner of Lower Base Line and 7th Line (now Trafalgar Road), below Drumquin, in Halton County.
The original school, a log building, was built in the woods at the northern end of the Bethel Church shed on the high bank of the Sixteen Creek on property owned by Michael Cavenagh in about 1823. The next school was a frame building located on the northwest corner of Lower Base Line and the Seventh Line. It was so close to the road there was no playground for the children. This building burned in 1895 and in 1896, a new brick schoolhouse was built on the site. It wasn't until 1931 that land was purchased at the east end of the school, from Mr. F. Ford, for a playground. The school closed in 1958.
- Based on the history compiled by Ross Wark in 2015, "History of Coyne's School S.S. #9, 1823-1948" as found in the Tweedsmuir Village History of Drumquin 1946-1948 by the Drumquin Women's Institute.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.53341 Longitude: -79.78293
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Coyne School 1951-1952, Grades 1-4.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton