Snider's School Opening Program, November 29, 1956
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- The front cover, back page and programme events from the opening ceremony of the new Snider's School in 1956.
Snider's school was first built on land owned by Ephraim Post Concession 1, Lot 6, NDS. We know S.S. #4 was in use by 1877 and the 1878 Atlas shows it right on the corner on the southwest side of Ninth Line and Burnhamthorpe Road.
The 200 acre Lot 6 was first owned by William Tisdale.
The old one-room S.S. #4 Snider's School was closed in 1956. The building was used as a house until 2010 when it was torn down for road widening. At that time, the Town of Oakville gave the old "S.S. #4" sign boards to the Trafalgar Township Historical Society.
November 29, 1956 was the official opening of the new Snider's Public School, it closed at the end of June 1976.
The 1956 school building is on Burnhamthorpe Road, north side, just east of Trafalgar Road, in use since 1998 as an Islamic centre.
- Front Cover:
Official Opening, Snider's Public School, Trafalgar Township, Thursday, November 29, 1956
1. Senior Choir... O Canada, Mary and Martha, Hark Ye What Angel Voices
2. Junior Choir... Ships, The Lords My Shepard, Rocking
3. Triple Trio... Christmas Hymn, Whence O Shepherd Maiden
4. Autumn Leaves... A Dance
5. Introduction of School Board and Inspectors... Mr. Merry
6. Introduction of Staff... Mr. Mellot
7. Greetings... Mr. R. Marshall, Reeve, Mr. S. Hall, M.L.A.
8. Vocal Solo... Miss M. Barnard
9. Introduction of Speaker... Mr. L.L. Skuce
10. Deputy Minister of Education... Mr. F.S. Rivers, B.A., B.Paed
11. Senior Choir... Oh God, Beneath Thy Guiding Hand, The Little Sandman, God Save The Queen
Trafalgar Area School Board,
Mr. Percy Merry...Chairman
Mr. Ross Campbell
Mr. Denzil Lawrence
Mr. Donald Orr
Mrs. Edith Taylor
Mr. E.J. James...Business Administrator
Mr. S.J. Stewart...Bookkeeper
Mr. W.K.M. Armstrong, B.A., M.ED, Educational Supervisor
Inspectors of Public Schools: Mr. L.L. Skuce, B.A., B.Paed ; Mr. R.F. Bornhold, B.A., M.Ed. ; Mr. E.F. Jordan, B.A.,M.Ed.
Staff Snider`s Public School,
R.S. Mellot, Principal (handwritten: Grades 7 + 8) ;
Mr. M. Fife (handwritten: Grades 6 + 7);
Miss E. Cairns (handwritten: Grades 4 + 5) ;
Mrs. F. Dauphinee (handwritten: Grades 2 + 3) ;
Miss W. Cryderman (handwritten: Grades 1 + 2) ;
Mrs. G. Bentley (handwritten: Kindergarten) ;
Mr. H. Graham...Caretaker ;
Mr. J.I. Asher, A.R.C.T...Supervisor of Music ;
Miss M. Barnard, A.R.C.T...Supervisor of Music ;
Miss B. Mair...Public Health Nurse
- Date of Original:
- Date Of Event:
- November 29, 1956
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Snider's School Opening Program, November 29, 1956
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton