Marriage Certificate of Amanda Oakley and John A. Foreman, Jr., 1847.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- The marriage certificate of Amanda Oakley to John Foreman, Bronte, Trafalgar Township, April 29, 1847.
- The minister was John Oakley, Amanda's uncle, a Baptist minister.
Amanda had been born in Waterdown, East Flamborough (Ontario) and John in Lewiston, New York.
John Foreman was named for his father. After his marriage, he was a major in the American Civil War and moved his family west to the Kansas Territory. He found his name was not unique in the United States so to distinguish himself, he added the initial "A" and "Jr.", making his reputation as John A. Foreman, Jr.
Their stories are told in other records in this group.
- “This is to certify that John Foreman, bachelor, and Amanda Oakley, spinster, both of the town of Oakville in the district of Gore, and provinces of Canada, were married by me, at Bronte, in the forementioned districts, in the presence of John Henry Oakley and ? Wickwire, this 29th day of April, 1847, by license.
Minister of ?”
- Date of Publication:
- 29 Apr 1847
- Date Of Event:
- April 29, 1847
- Personal Name(s):
- Amanda Mary Oakley, b. October 18, 1831, d.October 10, 1869.
John A. Foreman, Jr., b. January 9, 1825, d. July 14, 1899.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Marriage Certificate of Amanda Oakley and John A. Foreman, Jr.
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton