Thessalon Union Public Library, Circa 1990
- Mystery Question:
When did the Library change locations?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This is a color photo of the previous location of the Thessalon Union Public Library, when it was housed in the former second Methodist Church building. The photo shows its location next to the Community Health Centre on the Main Street of Thessalon.
- The Methodist church building was constructed in 1900. It is believed that the building was constructed of locally made bricks from a factory north of Thessalon on Highway 129. The building has also served as a community hall, office building, gym, public school, and art society. This structure was used for the continuation school when the Methodist congregation joined the Presbyterians.
The library board purchased the building in 1964 for $10,000.00 from the Municipality.
The first library was located at the back of the Town Hall, where there were only a few books for adult education, and no children's books at all.
In 1949 it became a public library and in 1963 a fire that started below in the jail,caused the library to lose everything except for three or four books. The library was slowly brought back and later moved to its current location.
- Date of Original:
- Circa 1990
- Local history
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses are subject to the terms of a licence. Contact the repository for further information. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Thessalon Union Public Library
Agency street/mail address
187 Main St. Box 549
Thessalon, ON P0R 1L0