E. D. Mills Department Store, Thessalon, circa 1990
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This is a colour photo of E. D. Mills department store located on Main Street, Thessalon. This two story building appears to have two separate sections to it.
The left section of the building has a grey brick front façade, while the right portion has a black finish and large windows.
In 1990, E. D. Mills was run by Brent Rankin. In 1991, the grey portion of the building became Main St. pharmacy and the other portion became Hair Designs and office space.
- The building was originally constructed in 1886 by Thessalon's second mayor, William Thomson Sr. Some of the building's first tenants were a general store, a ladies wear store, and a shoe store.
Later tenants included McAlpine's Candy and Confectionary, the Canadian Pacific Railway Express Office, a restaurant, and a butcher shop.
The store was purchased by Brent Rankin in 1985. He operated the store as it was configured until 1989 when it was converted back to three separate units.
- Date of Original:
- Circa 1990
- Local History
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Thessalon Union Public Library
Agency street/mail address
187 Main St. Box 549
Thessalon, ON P0R 1L0