First Anglican Church, Thessalon, circa 1880
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This is a black and white photo of the first Anglican church in Thessalon. The main building extends left to right in the photo with three sets of windows shown.
A tall squared bell tower is attached to the main building. On top of this is a pointed spire. Concrete stairs lead up to the entrance. The land around the church is barren save a couple of small trees.
- Land for the first Anglican Church was purchased on October 16, 1890 on the north side of Algoma St. East. A small church was built shortly thereafter, however this church was later deemed too small for the congregation.
A new property was purchased in January 1912 on Main Street East, where the old church building was then moved to. The building was cut in half and rebuilt with additional pieces put in between. A new lantern tower was added and the old tower with the pinnacle was rebuilt. The official opening of the new church took place on November 28, 1912. Reverend Tate officiated at this Church until he retired in 1929.
- A note at the photo reads: "The first Anglican Church (Church of England) built in 1880's. The church was located on the north side of Algoma Street."
- Date of Original:
- Circa 1880
- Local History
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Thessalon Union Public Library
Agency street/mail address
187 Main St. Box 549
Thessalon, ON P0R 1L0